Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have severe copd, emphysema

June 17
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members came together to help someone with severe COPD understand what exacerbations are and to make sense of some very frightening breathing... Read more

Members came together to help someone with severe COPD understand what exacerbations are and to make sense of some very frightening breathing episodes they had experienced. Several members shared their own experiences, describing exacerbations as sudden flare-ups triggered by weather, smoke, stress, or overexertion, and noting that symptoms can include chest discomfort, extreme air hunger, and anxiety that quickly spirals. A recurring theme was the importance of pursed lip breathing to regain control, not adjusting oxygen beyond prescribed levels, and always contacting a doctor or emergency services when breathing becomes dangerously difficult.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I think I might have called 911 in that situation @A MyCOPDTeam Member! I don't know how you managed to have BOTH pulse and continuous flow oxygen on at the same time, but it seems like I would have gotten some professional help by then. I don't really know what the answer is either, but is it possible that this is what happens when you are retaining too much carbon dioxide? I don't know that either since I'm not on oxygen, but at least call your emergency number if it happens again ok? Thanks. Hugs, Chris 6/18/26

June 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Everything about your COPD gets worse all the sudden, I have been hospitalized twice for them so far, no fun.
You can get more info online by just searching COPD exasperation.
🤙✌️

June 21
MyCOPDTeam

Great question! The word is actually "exacerbation" (easy to mix up!) — and it's more than just struggling to breathe. An exacerbation is when your COPD symptoms suddenly get noticeably worse than usual and stay that way for at least several days.

With severe COPD and emphysema, an exacerbation can involve a combination of Show Full Answer

Great question! The word is actually "exacerbation" (easy to mix up!) — and it's more than just struggling to breathe. An exacerbation is when your COPD symptoms suddenly get noticeably worse than usual and stay that way for at least several days.

With severe COPD and emphysema, an exacerbation can involve a combination of symptoms, including:

- Increased shortness of breath, even at rest
- More coughing than usual
- More mucus production
- Wheezing (a high-pitched whistling when breathing)
- Chest tightness
- Fatigue or feeling generally unwell Exacerbations can be triggered by things like air pollution, secondhand smoke, strong perfumes, or respiratory infections. A MyCOPDTeam member shared that someone sitting near them wearing strong perfume triggered a coughing episode they couldn't stop.

Seek immediate medical attention if:

- Your lips or fingernails turn blue or gray
- You're too breathless to climb stairs
- You feel confused or less mentally alert than usual

Always let your doctor know if symptoms are getting worse — catching it early makes a big difference.

June 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

This happens to me from time to time - if I exert myself a bit too much or too quickly I will struggle more to breathe. I have found that for me its critical that I stop doing what im doing immediately and get control of the situation or anxiety will quickly creep in and then its extremely difficult.
The best method for me is pursed lip breathing, it forces me to focus and take command and also expels any CO2 build up that is interfering with my oxygen uptake.
If you dont already, try to practice pursed lip breathing daily when yiu aee relaxed, its good for you anyway and then it won't be something you associate with struggling

July 3 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was informed the basically an exacerbation can be flare up due to extreme weather changes, smoke in the air, chemicals, stress...it's not something that you did to cause it

June 20

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Glenville, NY