Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Largo, FL

On top of severe COPD I also have severe emphysema…. It hurts to even eat more than a few bites of food, I’m on antibiotics, O2 24/7, set on 3-4, Bpap during the night , nebulizer every 6 hours, steroids, anti-anxiety meds, my weight is now at 88 lbs……. It feels like a belt is tightening around my waist (due to the emphysema)

July 5
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I am so happy you are getting the help you need and hope you are able to feel well and have support you need to get through this difficult time.

July 8
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good morning Alice,
I mentioned to my primary doctor about hospice and she suggested that it was time to at least speak with them. By the end of the day I was approved, meds delivered, … nurse, charge nurse, social worker, minister, dietitian and aa few others had come to my house and they wanted to know what I wanted and needed to just be comfortable and not be in pain…. My primary had told me a couple months ago that I was terminal, now I’m just not in so much pain

July 8
MyCOPDTeam

What you're carrying right now is incredibly heavy — physically, emotionally, and in every other way. The symptoms you're describing, the difficulty eating, the constant tightening sensation, the weight loss, and the full load of treatments you're managing, all point to a very advanced stage of COPD. That takes real Show Full Answer

What you're carrying right now is incredibly heavy — physically, emotionally, and in every other way. The symptoms you're describing, the difficulty eating, the constant tightening sensation, the weight loss, and the full load of treatments you're managing, all point to a very advanced stage of COPD. That takes real strength to live with every day.

Hospice care isn't about giving up. It's about shifting the focus toward comfort, dignity, and quality of life when treatments are no longer improving things meaningfully. It brings a team to *you* — nurses, aides, chaplains, social workers — to help manage pain, breathlessness, anxiety, and other symptoms at home. Some signs that hospice may be worth discussing with your doctor include:

- Frequent hospitalizations or ER visits
- Oxygen needs increasing over time
- Significant unintended weight loss (88 lbs is a serious concern)
- Breathlessness even at rest that isn't improving
- Difficulty eating or swallowing
- Treatments maintaining but not improving quality of life

The conversation with your doctor doesn't lock you into anything — it's just information. You can ask specifically: *"Am I a candidate for hospice, and what would that look like for me?"*

You deserve comfort and support right now. Please don't wait to have that conversation.

July 5
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member talk with the hospice and find out what they offer. If it's not time for you now maybe they can help with other resources that could you now.

July 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I am happy for you to have a care team, it must have been lonely to be by yourself an having to make the call. I have my affairs in order : DNR, will, wishes and final decisions all in a marked folder so I won't be asked to be but on a resperator or incubated.
My heart akes for you, I hope your team is compassionate Ask for what you want or need to feel ready to let go and be at peace.

July 10

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Dahlonega, GA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Poway, CA