When is it time to call for hospice support with COPD?
This is an important question that deserves a thoughtful conversation with your healthcare provider. The decision to consider hospice care typically comes when COPD has progressed significantly and curative treatments are no longer the focus.
Generally, hospice Show Full Answer
When is it time to call for hospice support with COPD?
This is an important question that deserves a thoughtful conversation with your healthcare provider. The decision to consider hospice care typically comes when COPD has progressed significantly and curative treatments are no longer the focus.
Generally, hospice becomes appropriate when:
- Symptoms are difficult to manage despite treatment
- Quality of life has declined significantly
- Frequent hospitalizations or ER visits are occurring
- Daily activities have become extremely challenging
- The focus shifts toward comfort rather than aggressive treatment
Your doctor can help assess where you are in your COPD journey and discuss whether hospice might be beneficial. Hospice doesn't mean giving up - it means prioritizing comfort, dignity, and quality time with loved ones.
Many healthcare providers offer resources beyond appointments, including patient liaisons and chaplaincy services, who can help guide these difficult conversations. Don't hesitate to reach out to your medical team when you're ready to discuss your options.
Remember, reaching out for support during challenging times is a sign of strength, not weakness.
AI-generated responses are not a substitute for medical advice. These services are not intended to
diagnose, treat, or cure any condition or disease. Always ask your doctor about specific health concerns.
You’ve Just Been Diagnosed With COPD. Now What?
November 14, 2025
Never give up on healing. Call who you have to and do what you need to do to maintain maximan health. But believe in healing, from our God.
November 15, 2025
Laura that one is hard to call. It is more of personal preference. I think AI or MyCOPDTeam has answered it best. There is also palliative care if you want the step before that.
For me I would go on it if I was so bad I was bedridden all the time and if I did go to the hospital possibly wind up on a breathing machine. Then there is no life and would rather die at home in peace with family and close friends with men to hold my hand.
You're so new to this. I hope you have known about it for a while.
Her care team can help explain and guide you through this. Hopefully you know your sisters wishes. This can't be easy on you. I know it would tear me apart if it happened to my wife or brother and I didn't know what to do.
Sending my prayers. Fell free to ask me anything, if I can help.
November 15, 2025