Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
January 13
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responded to a question about transitioning to morphine and hospice care for stage 4 COPD by gently redirecting the conversation... Read more

Members responded to a question about transitioning to morphine and hospice care for stage 4 COPD by gently redirecting the conversation toward finding daily joy and maintaining hope, emphasizing that doctors are best positioned to guide end-of-life care decisions but that no one can predict how many good years remain. Several members shared uplifting personal strategies for coping with serious chronic illness, including learning new languages, treating themselves to small joys like ordering something special online, getting outside when possible, and reframing pain or difficulty as something to live alongside rather than give in to. A recurring theme was choosing gratitude and positivity day by day, leaning on community encouragement, and refusing to give up on yourself even when breathing becomes harder and mobility is limited.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

Your doctor, through watching you and your stats, will be the best source of advice there. I try not to add a calendar number to anything. Three years could turn into 13 for all you know.
Do something good for yourself every day, even if it's just looking in a mirror and smiling at your reflection. I also like going to bed at night with a promise of some kind of treat the next day. (Tomorrow I'll order that fun hat/shoes/handbag from Amazon that I've been wanting) Then I'll be sure to follow up.

During Covid lockdown, the young mother who lived next door to me was tired of it all, and she ordered 1 bottle of nail polish just for herself. She lived on that little 'happy' for a long time.

January 13
A MyCOPDTeam Member

to Jael2 and Sandsrainbow. What an uplifting positive just what i needed conversation!! Thank you. I had been doing ok on managing my stage 4 (or is it now end stage) COPD but lately it has been tough for me to maintain positivity. I love your ideas and will start today. (I had been learning Finnish..I am Finnish but never learned the language. I will restart that )

January 16
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Morning, Susan. I think about things to do that don't cost much. For awhile I took up Spanish because I think it's such a beautiful language. I couldn't get anyone to help me learn, but the library had good books and tapes that helped. I could only take it so far since there was no one around me to 'talk' it with me. I'm thinking about trying it again.

My first personal assignment was The Lord's Prayer in Spanish, which my Sunday School teacher helped me learn, and I went around reciting that under my breath. I've forgotten it now, but have a yen to try again. It would be free online, I'm pretty sure.
I hope when the weather turns warmer, you can get on the porch, patio or something for a few minutes a day to soak up that good sun. That's what I'm gonna try to do. πŸ’ž

January 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@Jael ,
Hello ! I loved your answer . That's what I try to do . Find things that bring me joy 😊 It makes dealing with this disease so much better ! πŸ’• Have a great day ☺️ breathing easy .
Susan
πŸŒ¬οΈβ˜ƒοΈπŸŒ²β„οΈπŸ™πŸ€—β€οΈ

January 13
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, We all help each other. If you happened to read any of my posts lately, you saw how the accumulated ice and bad streets were getting me down. It's nearly all melted except a huge mound of ice at my front door. I finally found something good about even that. I started shoveling a little each day, getting good exercise and fresh air. Never forget, 'There must be a pony in here somewhere'.

February 10

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Oaklyn, NJ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Vallejo, CA