Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Machine and now it isn’t adequate enough to accommodate 4 L am I gonna have to move to tanks if I wanna stay mobile?

July 16
 · 
Reactions
MyCOPDTeam

That's a really frustrating situation, especially after such a big investment! To answer the first question — yes, some people with COPD have seen their oxygen needs change over time, and it's not unheard of for someone to move to a lower flow rate. However, this depends entirely on how well the lungs are responding to Show Full Answer

That's a really frustrating situation, especially after such a big investment! To answer the first question — yes, some people with COPD have seen their oxygen needs change over time, and it's not unheard of for someone to move to a lower flow rate. However, this depends entirely on how well the lungs are responding to treatment and overall health status.

It's really important to only use oxygen exactly as the doctor prescribes. Using less than prescribed could mean the body isn't getting enough oxygen, which can affect vital organs. As for staying mobile at 4L — there are actually a few options worth exploring:

- Portable oxygen tanks can deliver higher flow rates and are a solid option for getting out and about
- Liquid oxygen is lighter and can hold more oxygen, making it a popular portable choice for those needing higher flow rates
- Some higher-capacity portable concentrators may support 4L, so it's worth checking with the supplier

A MyCOPDTeam member shared that when they needed oxygen around the clock, they used a concentrator at home and portable tanks when out — a combination approach that many find works well.

It's worth talking to both the doctor and the oxygen supplier about options. The supplier may be able to suggest solutions, and the insurance company may help cover additional equipment needs.

July 16
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks for your input

August 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have been yoyoing for a couple of years NOW. Up and down from 2 to 3 to 5 to 4 and down again to 3 mostly. the weather makes it hard to land on one level

July 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It is not unheard of. But will require a lot of work on your part with a vigorous exercise program, a good medication routine, and eating only healthy foods. Although it is a progressive decease and we usually do not go backwards. That is why when I bought my POC I made sure there was room for me to be increasing the oxygen flow. The bad thing is the POC companies don't tell you is that those numbers are sitting, not liters of oxygen.
I am on 3l while walking so I have to have my POC set on 4 or 5 to get enough oxygen. You can buy an inline oximeter to see what out put your Pocket is giving. My Pulmonologist put one on my machine when I felt like I wasn't getting enough oxygen from my portable after I bought it.

July 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Sorry I put 3 forgetting about the portable one

July 16

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Duluth, GA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭