Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I am on oxygen when walking.

August 4
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members responding to the question about disabled driver placards for oxygen users overwhelmingly confirmed that getting one is... Read more

Members responding to the question about disabled driver placards for oxygen users overwhelmingly confirmed that getting one is straightforward, with most sharing that their primary care doctor or pulmonologist fills out a form that is then taken to the DMV. Several members noted that placards are typically issued for multiple years and can transfer between vehicles, making them helpful for anyone whose breathing is affected by distance, weather, or fatigue. A recurring theme was encouragement to ask a doctor without hesitation, along with a supportive side conversation about disability benefits and the financial challenges many members face.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have a disabled placard, helps most of the time.

August 9
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Make an appointment with your doctor and fill out the form. Next COPD is a disability and you have every right to have one. It's up to you how you use it however when you shop for groceries or shop period it comes in handy. As a retired military member l took pride no permanent injuries however I was advised to apply for disability COPD, sleep apnea and right knee and l am receiving disability payments, it's your right and never be ashamed about your disability.

August 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Both my wife and I have cards. Actually, I didn't actually apply for mine. When I got out of hospital following that MI, I was contacted by the issuing authority to send them a fee. When I asked why, they replied that the Surgeon had applied for it for me, but they wouldn't be allowed to send it until the cash was to hand - I sent it. Janice (her indoors) had to apply so she had one when I was not able to take her out, but was driven by our younger daughter. No problem; the doctor filled in the forms and sent them in, she paid by bank transfer, and received hers in due course.

August 14
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well, that is something I need to check out! I'll ask my primary Dr. About getting a placard on monday.

August 8
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Got one in the same manner as all the above. In Louisiana they also give you what looks like a drivers license but says handicap driver in case a cop would question you.

August 5

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Chicago, IL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Perth, AU