Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Texas City, TX
August 17
 · 
Reactions
MyCOPDTeam

Dealing with thick, stubborn mucus is one of the most frustrating parts of living with COPD — you're definitely not alone in this struggle!

There are a few approaches that may help thin and clear mucus more effectively:

- Stay well hydrated — drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help thin mucus naturally
- Use Show Full Answer

Dealing with thick, stubborn mucus is one of the most frustrating parts of living with COPD — you're definitely not alone in this struggle!

There are a few approaches that may help thin and clear mucus more effectively:

- Stay well hydrated — drinking plenty of water throughout the day can help thin mucus naturally
- Use a humidifier — adding moisture to the air at home can make mucus easier to move
- Try controlled coughing techniques — pursed lip breathing and huffing (a short, sharp exhale) can help shift mucus
- Ask your doctor about mucolytics — medications like acetylcysteine can be delivered through a nebulizer to help loosen unusually thick mucus
- Pulmonary rehabilitation — breathing exercises taught in these programs can also help with mucus clearance

It's worth having a conversation with your pulmonologist about this, especially if it's getting worse or affecting your daily life. They may be able to adjust your treatment plan or prescribe something specifically to help.

August 17
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thomas, I'm not sure if you have Bronchiectasis (I do) and I produce super heavy phlegm every day... easily fill up a sputum cup...heavy yellow looking stuff... Turn the sputum cup upside down and it does not move...My original lung doctor of 45 years recently retired and I have a new young pulmonologist.. The FDA recently OK'd Brinsupri for cystic fibrosis.. My new doctor started me on it about 3 months ago.. I've been fighting the heavy phlegm for almost 49 years since the house fire in 10/77.. My coughing has been reduced and the amount of crap I cough up has also been reduced. The phlegm for all of those years was heavy yellow... now it is turning more white which is good... It might be something to talk to your doctor about. Have a great day, Mike

August 23
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello TomasFelone, I'm glad you didn't delete your account and are still coming back.
I get that a lot. I talked with my pulmonologist about it, and he said if it is real thick I am not drinking enough water. But he did also tell me to take Mucinex to help clear it. He also has me do extra nebulizer treatments to help clear it out. When I had troubles with it getting stuck he gave me an AerobikA [a flutter device] to help loosen it and expel it.

From dealing with it for a few years now I have learned that pineapple juice will help loosen and clear it also. I also found that drinking mullein tea helps to lesson the about of phlegm I have like the Mucinex does, it is just a whole lot cheeper.

August 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you

August 17

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Citrus Heights, CA