Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
September 10
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi @A MyCOPDTeam Member I also feel tired and short of breath when its time to start dinner. I don't do fast foods because home cooking is so much healthier for us. Once in awhile, I go down to a chinese restaurant that is close to me and order take out unless I'm with family and we eat inside. That is a treat because I love Chinese. I use my inhaler to help with the sob before prep and just push myself when needed. Most of the time I cook for more than one meal so that I can make freezer meals for those days when I just don't have the energy. I can 'shop' in my freezer and add a salad or vegetable and I'm good to go. It has been so very hot these last few days, that I've used freezer meals a lot. Another thing I do sometimes is cook early in the day or even in the morning if I have the chicken or fish thawed. That is nice so that I don't have to worry with the cooking and dreaded dishes when I'm worn out. Good luck in figuring out what is best for you. I like to make soups that are really good to have on hand for lunch or dinner. Another thing that I like to make is an egg scramble. I always put lots of vegs including fresh spinach and often times cheese, add a piece of toast and your good to go....a one pot meal. Good nutrition is so important for us, so don't give up having a good meal available. hugs.....

September 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I don't know but you all making me hungry.😊

September 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, I'm lucky in that I love soups and salads. Pasta salads are full of energy and I can add a touch of zing in the dressing to keep it cold and fresh tasting. Usually I start with something like thin spaghetti, cherry tomatoes, green onions, cucumbers, squash, carrots, something pickled like asparagus or artichoke hearts. Just anything I can find in the fridge.
For soups, well you name it, and I'll throw it into my chicken soup with rice.
These foods will last for several days, and you can always freeze the soups.
Have a great day.

September 10
MyCOPDTeam

What are some helpful meal prep ideas for someone with COPD who finds cooking from scratch exhausting?

First off, it's great that cooking brings joy — that's worth holding onto! The key is finding ways to protect your energy while still enjoying the process.

Here are some practical tips that may help:

- Cook low-effort Show Full Answer

What are some helpful meal prep ideas for someone with COPD who finds cooking from scratch exhausting?

First off, it's great that cooking brings joy — that's worth holding onto! The key is finding ways to protect your energy while still enjoying the process.

Here are some practical tips that may help:

- Cook low-effort meals like soups or stews in a slow cooker — minimal prep, minimal tending, maximum flavor
- Eat smaller meals more often (5–6 times a day) rather than large meals — this also helps reduce pressure on your diaphragm, making breathing easier
- Focus on high-protein foods like chicken, eggs, beans, and cheese to keep your nutrition up without complicated recipes
- Keep a food and symptom journal to track what foods work best for your energy and breathing
- Pass favorite recipes to a loved one and cook together — sharing the load can make it fun again One MyCOPDTeam member shared that eating smaller meals spread throughout the day helped reduce bloating and pressure on the lungs, leaving them feeling much better overall.

As always, chatting with your healthcare provider or a registered dietitian can help tailor a meal plan that works best for you. 🍲

September 10
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm always hungry, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, whether we talk about it or not.

September 10

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Great Britain

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Steinbach, MB