Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Daniels, WV

I find that every month or two, I need to just sleep the most of the day in order not to feel tired all of the time. Is this normal, or do I need to talk with my Dr.? I mentioned it to him and he told me that my body knows when I need sleep.

December 16, 2014
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members openly discussed the overwhelming fatigue that accompanies COPD, with many sharing that they need frequent naps or entire days of... Read more

Members openly discussed the overwhelming fatigue that accompanies COPD, with many sharing that they need frequent naps or entire days of rest, and reassuring each other that this exhaustion is the body's natural response to working ten times harder just to breathe. Several members offered practical recommendations, including getting tested for sleep apnea, wearing oxygen 24/7 (especially at night), checking vitamin D and B12 levels, addressing anemia, and adjusting CPAP or BiPAP settings to reduce carbon dioxide retention and morning headaches. A recurring theme was self-compassion and listening to one's body without guilt, with members encouraging each other to rest when needed, pace daily activities, and recognize that fatigue is not laziness but a legitimate symptom of living with a chronic respiratory condition.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have many days when I sleep the day away. I did talk to my doctor and she said for a normal person, they just breath, for me breathing is hard work and that is why I am tired all the time.

December 17, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I thought I was just getting up in years or lazy or both. Come to find out I have COPD, getting up in years, and lazy. Lol I never used to take nap since we had those little blue and red mats in kindergarten. Now I take one just about every day. Sometimes it's 15 minutes and sometimes it's an hour or hour and a half.

December 18, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi....I am on oxygen 24/7.....no one told me I am in stage 4...... I don't know what stage I am in....but take each day as it comes. I am not afraid of the oxygen?........been on it for about three years. Why do you consider it scary. You can get better with it. I feel a lot better now than I did even three months ago....of course I think diet and environment plays a big part of my healthiness now. But I breathe a lot better.

December 19, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I am afraid that it is part of the COPD.......exhaustion and then sleeping a day. I do that every week. I am retired so I can get away with that. My endurance for doing anything ordinary is not good. So when I go out of the house with my oxygen I have to do short trips only. I have been diagnosed with it now since 2010 .......but have had symptoms since1998....... Just didn't know what it was. You need more sleep as time goes on. I usually take 2 naps a day. One in the morning after breakfast and one in the afternoon. However, recently just one in the morning. I have high blood pressure as well so part of mine is that. And it also depends on my diet. I eat a lot of fruit....that helps me greatly.

December 17, 2014
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Wow! And I just thought I was lazy.

December 17, 2014

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Viwnna,Missouri