Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Boston, MA

I have been told to try to walk at least 1 mile everyday or for at least 1 hour. Because of the heat and humidity I have broken it up into 20 minute sessions with the dog. Is this ok. Sometimes, such as the last 3 days, I walked almost 12 miles overall, but that is with sitting. Is it ok to break up the exercise with rest?

September 8, 2015 (edited)
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

yes most definitely. The important thing is that you do not stop and park your ass on the couch. Sorry if that is so blunt. Believe it or not that is what I was told to do. Also get yourself one of the lung EXCERCISING machines they use in the hospital to keep your lungs clear. Keep you lung muscle as String as possible. If you are a house wife,I am sure you do laundry, dishes,vacuuming. etc. That is also eccercise. A nice walk in the evening with the dog and get you some fresh air before bed,will make you sleep so.much easier. God Bless, Pam ♡

September 8, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You're doing as much as you can do, and that's good enough!

September 14, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have RA alone with the COPD and there are days that is is just too painful to move the joints too much, have to go real slow.

September 9, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

!00 % right on , Daniel ,
AS long as you do something it helps . I know how the heat can get to you fast . I live in Las Vegas and once the heat sets in if I am not out by 5:30 AM it is too hot when I walk back from my mile. I walk as far as I can and then go back home . I do house work and that counts too . Do what you can, when you can and do a little more when you are up to it and it turns cooler.

November 4, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Whatever works best for YOU!! :)

November 4, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Steinbach, MB

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Syracuse, NY