Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

I have to do a pressure test before I fly overseas. If I 'fail" this test, will I still be able to fly? My lung capacity is 30% and I do not require oxygen supplements.

December 12, 2015
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

No one has to take the test David. It's available for people who don't currently use O2, but who wonder if they'll need it for flying. It's a tool you can use to help you decide whether to rent a POC or not.

December 15, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The test is called the High Altitude Simulation Test. The only thing it will show is whether you need O2 to fly. If it does show that, then you rent or buy a POC and a good oximeter and go on your merry way. I travel with O2 all the time (usually twice a month) and no one pays any attention. It takes a little more prep than just showing up, but it's certainly not impossible.

December 12, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I flew last August and I didn't have to take any test.There are portable oxygen concentrators that are approved for flying for rent.Also request a wheelchair so you don't tire so quickly.

December 15, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The test is called the High Altitude Simulation Test, and the only thing it will show is whether you'll need O2 to fly. It's not a pass or fail thing. If you do need O2 to fly, you'll need to find a Portable Oxygen Concentrator to rent or purchase so you can fly with no worries about getting in trouble on the plane. You'll need a good oximeter so you can keep track of your O2 sats.

Once you know which airline you're going to use, be sure to talk with them about what you'll need to carry with you. Most require you to have a form which you can find on their website that's filled out and signed by your doc saying that he prescribes O2 for flying. You need to be sure to call the airline before you fly to let them know that you will have a POC with you and give them the brand. They'll probably tell you what you'll need battery power for (usually 1.5 times the time of your trip from original take-off to landing, including any lay-over time), so you'll need to be prepared with the right number of batteries.

I fly with O2 all the time (usually twice a month) and while it takes a little more prep than just showing up, it's certainly not impossible. Most of the time no one pays any attention to me, and if I am asked for something it's usually easy to comply.

December 12, 2015
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Your doctor can give you a letter with their letterhead on it that will say you are required to use oxygen.It will say whether you need oxygen 24 hours or less.You can rent a oxygen condenser that has batteries. Depending on distance you fly will depend on how long your batteries need to last.

December 14, 2015

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Huddersfield, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Pittsburg, CA