Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
ridge manor, fl

My pulmonologist suggested Lung Transplant, however my age and health are high risk factors, and before I spend a fortune on high co-pays for testing and specialists, maybe I should look into Stem Cell Treatment, or is that just more Snakeoil.

January 18, 2016
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Here's the link to the COPD Foundation's statement regarding stem cell treatments: http://www.copdfoundation.org/Downloads/COPD-ST......

Here's another link: http://www.alpha1.org/Alphas-Friends-Family/Res......

The truth is that despite the advertising, there is no scientific evidence that any of the companies offering stem cell treatment for COPD work. No increases in FEV1, no improvement in 6 minute walk, no reduction of O2 usage, no reduction in med usage, nada, zip, zilch, zero. The only thing we know for sure is that people who have had the treatment are poorer by many thousands of dollars.

I have known several people who were desperate enough to try the treatment. None of them saw any improvement over time, and three of the four have died (not from the treatments, but from COPD). Don't go there. In the words of Dr. Robert Sandhaus, "it's modern day snake oil".

January 18, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@larrygay-- please let me know how it goes. I have been investigating Lung Institute in Scottsdale and actually had a date last month but cancelled. I know 2 people who have had it done and felt better and improved over time. Give it a year they said. Please keep me updated. Like in a month, 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 9 months, and 12 months.

January 24, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I been on oxygen since 2010 24/7 but I don't always use it I had the stem cell the 14 of December can't tell any difference as of yet .

February 28, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Will it's been 3 months now since I had stem cell can't see much improvements yet but still hoping .

February 17, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I wish I would had read this be for I just went to the lung institute had the treatment it been 1month now so I guess I will have to wait see what happens

January 19, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Nixa, MO