Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lumberton, TX

I suffer from anxiety not depression!!!

March 3, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I suffer from anxiety and my Doctor has prescribed .5 mg of ativan when required. I don't take it all the time, only when I am feeling unusually stressed. It does help and you don't need to be on it all the time. I just use common sense. Fortunately for me I am not stressed all the time.

March 6, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Do not use your PCP! Go to a psychologist! Not a shrink ! You can get in trouble fast with only a PCP. Anxiety is the hidden disability.

March 3, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I had it wrong I did. You need a shrink to prescribe anxiety meds. PCP almost killed my wife with wrong meds! Just saying.

March 11, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member ......Anxiety is our Fight or Flight...built in safety mechanism.....As i have COPD unfortunitely I can no longer Fight nor Run.........so in regards to every day clinical descriptions, most people who suffer can come from any walk of life and any age...That is why CBT is the one way to learn, understand and deal with this Anxiety.

On the other hand we are facing Life or Death situations every day, most that depend on Medication and Knowledge.....Just regarding it as ''Just another pill'' is also leaving yourself defenceless when faced with immediate danger, that no amount of text book knowledge will help you......

Still a firm believer in getting Professional help...Seen too many suicides where people thought they could deal with it alone.....Just my opinion xxxxxx.

March 6, 2016 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My pulmonary doctor prescribed an antidepressant/anxiety medicine for one month to see if it will help my breathing. He said that when I stand or walk and get so short of breath that I may be panicking causing my shortness of breath to get worse. I sure hope it works. I am not prone to depression so I have not thought of myself as panicking. I do get scared when I get real short of breath.

March 6, 2016

Related Questions

View All