Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Trafalgar, IN

I am in severe stage copd. I have always been warm blooded but My hands and feet seem to be cold quit often. At times I just can't get warm. Anyone else experience this problem? What causes this?

March 19, 2016
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members overwhelmingly agreed that feeling cold with COPD, especially in the hands and feet, is most likely caused by poor circulation as the... Read more

Members overwhelmingly agreed that feeling cold with COPD, especially in the hands and feet, is most likely caused by poor circulation as the heart and lungs work harder and blood flow prioritizes vital organs over extremities. Several members shared practical strategies that helped them stay warm, including using electric blankets or heating pads, wearing layers and thermal socks, doing seated or bedside exercises to improve circulation, taking hot showers, eating dark chocolate, and checking with their doctor about anemia, low blood pressure, or medication side effects like blood thinners. A recurring theme was the importance of seeing a doctor to rule out underlying issues, with one member discovering their coldness was due to anemia and finding relief through iron supplements prescribed by their physician.

A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member Stephens , you should really see your Dr first. I used to be cold like you, my Dr put me on magnesium 1000mg day, and she told me to eat a lot of pineapple, this helps your blood move better, orange juice oranges and green tea. These things help inflamation also. even if you are bed ridden like me , you can do some exercises in your bed to help circulation . kind of dance laying down . I thought it was weird at first, but it actually works, some sit ups, and reaching for the end of your bed. put some good music on and go for it. Makes you feel better.

March 30, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Poor circulation, and because the lungs and heart have to work harder. Blood flow to feet and legs can be less than it was thus the cold. Also falling blood pressure, plus meds if I get really cold, I go to bed, put electric blanket on, stay there till I feel warm.always wear two pr socks, leggings in winter, with layers on top. ..

April 13, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks everyone! Went to the doctor and I found out that I am Anemic. Red blood cell count was way down. He put me on a iron supplement 3xday and I am feeling a lot better now. I have been on them for about 3 weeks now.

September 14, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yep, surprisingly it does, do alot on my bed, now now ... grins off faces please, I meant exercises,

Was lucky physio showed me allot and left me with a booklet, so I pop some music on and dancing feet, toes, and legs, what a sight I must be, I hate to think.

April 2, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Debbie I am in Australia and we are in our Summer season....we also have our own OZ/NZ COPD site....and I have had a lot of comments on just this subject .....so many even in heat have cold hand and feet...it is part of the COPD disease....just keep your self warm....you can get things now that you heat and put into your shoes and boots...and also your gloves....
Take care and breathe easy

December 14, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Middletown, PA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Carencro, LA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New Brunswick, NJ