With COPD are funds through social security disability difficult to obtain. At age 60 I am too young to retire but also not able to continue working. Health insurance is also a growing concern until medicare becomes available. I have not applied for anything yet. Thanks for any insight you can offer.
I did not have to get a lawer. I did it on my own. I went an applied back in sept. And it started this June . And they even went back six months. I did have to get them all the paper work from my doctor. And they sent me to a doctor of there's to take a P.F.T. test but that was all I did. I hope yours is as easy. And I to am on cobra but I have it for 30 months did you get the extension for being disabled ?
The best advice to give you is “Have all your ducks in a row”!! I looked into it and everything I read stated that the first time you applied you would get turned down. I decided to get a lawyer right off the bat (not sure if it helped or not). Then I started putting my ducks in line. Every test result that had to do with COPD I got copies and filed. I looked into test that they would need, like a PFT test, and I got one. Everything needed I made sure was included and sent to SSD. Most people don't get Disability the first time because they don't have it documented well enough. X-Rays, Cat Scan, PFT and any doctors exams get them all together form you lawyer to send in, The more you have to backup your case the fast it will get approved.
Your County would know the help you can receive . For your meds you can apply for free medication thru the company's that make the meds. Call your county assistance program and aply for everything you may be surprised to fine there is a chronic care insurance out there. Also on the web google things and see sometimes you find a trial site for free to get your meds from.
I applied in May 2004 and received my first pay in October 2004. I received pay dating back to the month I applied in May. Six thousand dollars. I still received a check every month. My family Doctor and pulmonary specialist helped me apply. I also saw a Doctor for Social Security. Hope this helps!!
Apply for Social Security disability. Once you are on it you will be eligible for Medicare. Get in touch with SS they will let you know what you should do. Good luck and breathe easy.