Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Nashvulle

I've been living with reoccurring bronchitis for the last three years. I had never had bronchitis until three years ago. This past Thursday I went to a specialist who diagnosed me with COPD. Lung capacity is 60% and he said I didn't respond to breathing treatments. He is unsure how I ended up with this and how my capacity is so low for my age. I'm only 27, just turned 27 actually. Has anyone heard of COPD at this age? How common is it? What caused it? I'm waiting on a CT and alpha 1 test… read more

August 21, 2016
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member. Hi. another cause of COPD is hi contact with strong cleaning chemicals'

August 31, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Janet, ask your doc to test you for Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency. As young as you re, that should be the first thing a competent pulmonologist would think about. It's an inherited form of emphysema, with obvious implications for family members and children. Here are two very reputable sites that will help you gather accurate information about COPD and Alpha-1: www.copdfndation.org www.alphs-1.org
Both sites are excellent and full of information fro people who have the disease, as well as docs and other professionals who specialize in these condition.

That said, about 25% of the people who are currently diagnosed never smoked and weren't exposed to obvious lung irritants. Some of them have Alpha-1, but not all. There are things about this condition we really don't understand; that's why research is so important.

August 22, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

COPD Choronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and that is what it exactly is! I am not a doctor so be sure you as yours too, it is a label that covers just about any lung breathing problems. I am sure your doctor has done all the correct testing to come up with this conclusion. Ask him questions, maybe a pulmonary rehab class would help educate yourself and show you how to stay strong would help you tremendously! Your young help yourself while you can, and we are here for you!

August 22, 2016
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My son is 35 and has copd

August 7, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I find when I am reactive or in a bad time with my breathing. Any string snell odor ect can bring on a bad sttack

September 3, 2016

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Camberley, UK