Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Black Hawk, SD

I have stage 4 copd. I have a cousin ,73 yts old with stage 4 copd she just spent 3 weeks at Mayo.they gave her a medicine similar to Viagra.she says it helps. Anyone else taking this ,if so does it help?

January 29, 2018
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Glad to hea about the viagra, it’s usually called Revatio when used for Pulmonary Hypertension . I was told I have severe pulmonary hypertension by the pulmonologist at Temple, my regular pulmonologist said he doesn’t treat PH. I was put on tryvaso but after about 6 weeks found I couldn’t tolerate it so I stopped using it. I am planning to ask my regular pulmonary Dr to order that for me. The Temple Dr wants to do a lung transplant but I have several other issues and don’t want to do that because I do not want to become ventilator dependent or worse a “vegetable “. Wish me luck

February 16, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

You cousin was prescribed this med because of her secondary Pulmonary Hypertension, which is also called right heart failure, and is the result of chronically low O2 levels. It is something that is associated with COPD, and is caused by lack of O2, but it's not specifically COPD. This is an off-use of the medicine but does help some people. It won't help COPD.

January 30, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Michigan Dearborn