Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brandon, FL

What can you do proactively when you are diagnosed with mild emphasema

July 7, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

First of all, your emphysema isn't something you developed overnight. Regardless of the cause: smoking, exposure to chemicals or pollution or Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (genetic condition) this is something you've been developing for a number of years; you just didn't know it. That's one of the problems with the disease: it's devious and develops so slowly that people often get well into their 60s before they're diagnosed.

Once you are diagnosed, though, there are a bunch of things you can do to help yourself. First, you need to stop taking irritating stuff into your lungs, whether that means quitting smoking, finding a new job or actually moving to a less polluted area, it's something you really need to do. As long as you continue to breathe in stuff that damages your lungs, you'll continue to do damage and you can't recover from damage already done. That's often the hardest part, but it's critical. If you don't then everything I say after this means nothing. You will continue to circle the drain very slowly.

After that, however, you need to talk with your pulmo about an exercise program. As crazy as it sounds, exercise is the best thing we can do for ourselves once we've stopped polluting our lungs. Ask about Pulmonary Rehab. If that's not possible or available, talk about starting your own exercise program and get started. You can do it at home, or in a gym, Y, Senior Center; anywhere there's a gym to use. The whole point is to build endurance, so you're going for time. Slow way down and walk for as long as you can without stopping for breath. Note the time and then do it again until you've done 30 minutes total. Then do the same thing again and again, adding a little time before you stop for breath every three or four days. Once you can do 30 minutes without stopping, you can add speed, time or distance. Keep pushing your self a little bit every three or four days. You also need to work with weights/resistance for upper, lower and core muscle groups. Look online for exercises; you'll find more than you could do in a lifetime.

Get as close to your normal weight as possible, take your meds, get your flu and pneumonia shots, stay away from people with bugs and work out an action plan with your doc so you know what to do when you do get something respiratory.

I'm 74, I work out every day, I still work part time and travel all over the US and Canada by air (about 30 trips a year), I have about a third the lung function of someone my age, I am active in my church and I do things with my family. My life is full and satisfying; yours can be too. You just need to work at it.

July 8, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Getting short of breath can be very uncomfortable.....it is for everyone. Use your oximeter, and as long as your O2 levels are good (generally above 90, but 88 is okay), you can continue what you're doing without doing any harm. You won't hurt yourself, even if you're really struggling. Just keep it up for as long as you can stand it. If your O2 sats go below 88, then talk with your doc about getting supplemental O2 for exercise and sleep. Then use the O2 to help you get as strong and conditioned as possible. The stronger you are and the better condition you're in, the more you'll be able to do and use less O2 to do it. As you get in better condition, you'll find that many things that used to make you sob won't anymore.

July 12, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member...so sorry to hear you have been having such a bad time.
you are not alone in feeling down,we all get down days with this horrible disease,please tell friends and family you need support not put downs,tell them to support you. please don't hesitate to message me should you ever need someone to talk to...I hope your having a good day..xxx

July 11, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Jean, thanks. That was very helpful. The dr just gave me inhalers and glossed over everything. It is pretty early stage but I want to get as strong as I can beforeshort I get any worse. It is just a little daunting that what is best for the condition will be a little uncomfortable. I get a little short of breath and get scared. Your advice Alpert put it in perspective. Thanks

July 11, 2018
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank u there are times when I get so upset with people it just drains my energy.I do everything the dr tells me and stick to my treatment plan.hOPE U ARE HAVING A GOOD BREATHING DAY

July 11, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Sandwich, MA