Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Shirley, NY

Should people with copd drink coffee and/or alcohol?

January 29, 2019
 · 
Be the first to react
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I don't believe that caffeine is a problem; in fact, some folks think it is a bronchodilator. Alcohol can be a problem, especially in excess. Some folks find that a drink can make their breathing more difficult; others don't have that issue. You may have to experiment a bit and see how thing turn out.

January 29, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There's nothing wrong with the coffee, it's the caffeine you have to monitor! Caffeine in coffee, tea, coke(cola), all have to taken in moderation because of the diarrhetic affect it has on you and on your breathing-it has the same effect as Ventolin/salbutamol. I have, in emergencies, given my daughter, who is an acute asthmatic, a can of coke, or a cup of caffeinated coffee to give her relief as a result of an attack!

January 29, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I was told that caffeine can increase depression, with COPD i don't want more problems so I switched to decaf tea and coffee - not quite as strong as regular but, six months on I think they were right!
Hope it helps.

January 29, 2019
A MyCOPDTeam Member

why not i do lol

January 29, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ajax, ON