Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK

I use ventolin in the form of a liquid which I put into an electric nebuliser. i also have saline which I use to loosen thick phlegm. In hospital they frequently mixed these two fluids so I inhaled them together.

Is that a good idea as a regular routine?

January 21, 2017
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A pretty good neb solution is DuoNeb, containing a combination of Albuterol and Ipratropium. Albuterol and Ipratropium are bronchodilators that relax muscles in the airways and increase air flow to the lungs.

Although I only do the 8 puff ventolin version via a spacer, there are many other combinations like Combivent (Ipratropium Bromide and Albuterol Sulfate) or plain Saline (Saline solution of sodium chloride)

January 23, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

That was not true for me. The Nebules I used in hospital were exactly the same as the ones I use at home. They have the quantity and strength printed on them.

January 26, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Then I'm sorry @A MyCOPDTeam Member I have nothing to offer you. The ventolin was weaker but there was lots of it when I was in hospital so I asked them about the strength. It was given in a nebuliser.

March 2, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

The ventolin you inhale is stronger than the hospital ventolin. That's why they give you so much in the hospital.

January 25, 2017
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Quite often saline alone is effective and avoids pumping a powerful drug into my body.

January 24, 2017

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Olmsted, OH

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
suz.asquith@gmail.com