While visiting with another COPD friend, the conversation turned to kidneys. As we both had a diagnosis of kidney disease wondered how common is this?
If you have COPD and are usually short of breath with low O2 sats, your chances of having other organ failure is pretty good. People with COPD often have six or more other co-morbidities, so it's not unusual for kidney disease to be one of them.
Yes thank you everyone for your answers! I am in stage 4 of kidney disease, but I've had it longer than I've had the COPD, just never made the connection.
Unfortunately, COPD is associated with an increased risk of kidney problems because of the low blood oxygen associated with lung disease. Moreover, findings suggest that there is an increased risk of mortality with COPD patients who have chronic kidney disease. (Just found this.)
Like anything else dealing with underlying, systemic, inflammation, there may be a correlation. The journal of nephrology currently estimates the co-morbidity rate between 20-30%, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
https://www.karger.com/Article/Fulltext/444422
I have heard nothing about Kidney Disease related to COPD. I will check around and see if anyone else has heard of anyhting.