Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Philadelphia, PA

Hello all, not so good over here. I have AFib and severe emphysema, on 4 liters oxygen 24/7. Yesterday I was told that both my knees are trash and should have them replaced but since I am compromised they are going to try the gel injections if the insurance company oks it. My real concern would be the knee replacements. Is there anyone out there with similar issues that had that surgery. I am really very frightened.

October 6, 2022
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi, I had a hip replacement, I had and epidural anesthesia. here in the NL for COPD patients hospitals prefer epidural, as a general anthesthesia is risky for the lungs

October 8, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

People with COPD regularly have surgery. The ones who generally have successful surgery are people who discuss the surgery and their COPD with both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist, first to ensure that they both know the patient has COPD and then to discuss how the surgery will go and what, especially, the anesthetist can do to help things go well. If the anesthetist has had experience with people with COPD, that will help things go well. If you're not sure whether yours has the proper experience, then ask someone who does. Knee surgery is tough, but you should be able to get through it all right.

October 6, 2022
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hello I had my right knee replaced in2015 I'm on oxygen 24/7 on 3L I had the gel shots for 1year prior to the surgery I don't want to scare you but after my surgery I woke up in ICU intubated and the surgeon said he had a rough time with my breathing. The knee takes time to heal I had to have the surgery because my leg was turning sideways and my knee was bone on bone after 3 week's of rehab and 3 weeks of therapy I felt much better You will feel better after you get your surgeries get a second opinion it'll make you feel better take care breathe ez be kind and smile you're alive I'm sending you a friendly hug and prayers

October 6, 2022

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Jamaica, NY

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Smiths Falls, ON