Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
London, UK
August 13, 2023
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Conventional wisdom, according the the GOLD standard, holds that there are four stages of COPD. Depending on who you talk with, those stages are either numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4; names: mild, moderate, severe and very severe, or letters: A, B, C, D. The definitions vary somewhat, but most use the FEV1 as the major element, with number of exacerbations experienced each year as the second element and activity level as the third. Generally, the severe stage is characterized by an FEV1 between 30 and 50, two or more exacerbations per year and an activity level in the moderate range (not well defined).

August 13, 2023
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks Jean for your response much appreciated.
I saw my consultant last Tuesday I asked what stage I’m at like you it’s been the gold or/ and the FEV1 that’s been used the consultant then said we don’t do this anymore. I asked another question then I came back to what level I’m at she said it’s severe I said that really don’t tell me anything does it. I was Moderate until I was hospitalised earlier this year for a month. Since then I have not been able to get around without being breathless and blood pressure going up I have meds for this hypertension. I can’t even fold my clothing I get pains and it feels like it’s burning I have tried working through it but the pain it just gets worse. I do some exercises like from sit to stand and marching on the spot lift my legs twirl my foot around. Hunch and drop my shoulders. Extend my arms outward etc not all at once but throughout the day.
Thanks again Jean for your response.

August 13, 2023

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Erie, PA