Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Erie, PA
October 15, 2025
 · 
Be the first to react
MyCOPDTeam

Severe COPD is classified as Stage 3. At this stage, symptoms typically occur daily and have a significant impact on quality of life, making daily activities more challenging.

Common symptoms of Stage 3 COPD include
• Wheezing during daily tasks
• Frequent flare-ups (periods when symptoms worsen)
• More frequent colds or Show Full Answer

Severe COPD is classified as Stage 3. At this stage, symptoms typically occur daily and have a significant impact on quality of life, making daily activities more challenging.

Common symptoms of Stage 3 COPD include:
• Wheezing during daily tasks
• Frequent flare-ups (periods when symptoms worsen)
• More frequent colds or chest infections
• Chest tightness during everyday activities
• Swollen feet, ankles, and legs In terms of lung function, Stage 3 COPD means you typically have between 30-49% of normal lung function. Treatment at this stage often includes continuing medications from earlier stages, and many people also begin using oxygen therapy to help make breathing easier. During flare-ups, your doctor may prescribe antibiotics to treat any respiratory infections.

October 15, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I’m also stage 3 severe at 33% lung function. I have a pulmonary function test coming up in December. Hopefully it hasn’t gotten any worser.
I don’t think it would get better but it would be nice if it did. I can still hope for better

October 19, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I’m stage 3 COPD at 33% lung function and I deal with many of the listed symptoms I’m on oxygen 24/7 have constant flare ups, shortness of breath, swelling in my feet and retaining carbon dioxide and have developed pulmonary hypertension and congestive heart failure.

October 16, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Banning, CA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Albany, OR