Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Pleasanton, CA

I got Pneumonia then ended up with a bacteria. Since then, I have a hard time with my breathing. Thank you for your help.

July 8, 2024
 · 
Reactions
Video: Breathing and Walking With COPD Read Article...
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hey, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, my suggestions would be (if you don’t already do all this):

- push hydration; 80 oz or more of water each day
- take 20 deep breaths in and out every hour on the hour while you are awake
- cough up and out any crud the deep inhales / exhales releases
- start your day with a warm beverage to free up phlegm clogs
- sleep sitting up (tough on the butt, but effective)
- alternately, raise the head of your bed 4” higher than the foot, allowing drainage
- walk as much as you can. 250 steps every hour in your home, if nothing else
- try himalayan sea salt inhalation spa therapy (halo therapy) to cut inflammation

All of the suggestions above are relatively easy, and while it’s good to discuss with your pulmonologist or respiratory therapist, they are things you can do without medical involvement if they are hard to reach.

The next list of suggestions should be discussed with your doc to ensure there isn’t any contraindications:

- whatever decongestant or expectorant you like, if not already taking
- mullein (dietary supplement for lung health)
- marshmallow root (dietary supplement for lung health)

Every one of us uses different tips and tricks to feel better - the biggest challenge is to keep your lungs from filling up when you lie down to sleep (which is when the coughing kicks in).

I learned a lot from the many folks from the members of this website, and if moisture won’t kill you, take a day trip to the ocean (if you can’t find halo therapy nearby), as I find that salt air inhalation is wonderful.

If you don’t already nebulize saline (salt water), you might want to ask your doc if such inhalation treatment, and/or adding a flutter device (such as an Aerobika or Acapella DM) could help to exercise your lungs and push the congestion out.

**** I’m not a doc - this isn’t medical advice ****
I hope something I’ve suggested helps you feel better. Hugs.

Thursday, 11-JUL-24

July 11, 2024 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

If you don’t already use pursed lip breathing techniques, please try that for easing your walking, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.

Good luck !

Monday, 07-JUL-24

July 8, 2024 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Donna, that’s good that they tested bacteria and gave you a bronchoscopy. Did they say how long you have to stay on the antibiotic? May I ask what anabiotic they put you on? I always flunk my breathing tests, I can’t get any breath out for very long. so my pulmonologist doesn’t require them anymore for me. But it might be good for you to see what’s happening. I hope the rehab helps you Donna. Thanks for letting me know. Please keep me posted. I’ll be thinking of you.🤗💕

July 11, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

HI Victoria
It's been almost 3 months since I was sick with pneumonia then the bacteria.
You went through a lot and now you can breathe, ok? I had a CT scan yesterday of my lungs waiting for the results.
I also have scarring on my lungs for many years. Never had a problem till I got pneumonia, and I don't know the name of my bacteria.
I want to thank You Victoria for answering me back you gave me hope.

July 10, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi, @A MyCOPDTeam Member, part of my heritage is Scotland (finally got to see some of it in 2017 when I traveled there with a friend).

Sadly, breathing issues are pretty common over there due to the dampness / overcast weather. I had to laugh, though, as my Great Grandmother on my Mom’s side was sent to live in the USA as she had bad lungs and they thought she might do better over here (she was originally from Arbroath, over by Dundee. Of course, she settled in New England, in Andover, just outside of Boston, MA, where the weather can be just as grey and damp !

I hear you about the lost weight and skin bruising easily. My Mom had very much the same issue, and she used her inhalers faithfully. I, on the other hand, don’t use a lot of the inhaled meds (*** I’m not a doc, this is NOT medical advice ***) as I spend more time with exercise and pursed lip breathing, only using my inhaler when there is no other choice for getting a coughing spasm under control.

Everyone has to come to terms with what they can afford, what they can tolerate for side effects, etc. Keep doing what you can to find treatments that work better for you with fewer side effects.

Happy Saturday night, 13-JUL-24

July 13, 2024

Related Questions

View All