Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Malta, MT
July 19, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Panic attacks are common when you are not able to get enough oxygen and it is normal to panic but when they come the first thing is to relax, force as much bad air out as you can and breathe and keep doing it until you are able to get some good deep breaths. I also use self talk to get a grip on myself and my emotions.I also use my emergency inhaler to give the lungs a chance to open up. The worst time is when I am driving but I'm not ashamed to pull off the road and deal with it until I get back on track. Stress, rushing and getting upset are three ways to have an attack. I had one about an hour ago trying to go run an errand. I called the person and told them what happened and I will deal with it tomorrow after I go to the doctor. It's a pain in the head but I try not to put myself in the position to have them but sometimes it can't be helped.

April 2, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

There are some breathing technics that you can you to calm you down, also some meditation.
But anxiety and panic attacks are common with COPD and just makes breathing worse as it tightens up your lungs. My Pulmonologist sent me to my GP to get put on some anxiety medicine. As I would have panic attacks when going out. She prescribed me some but I only use a half a pill when I am having one and it takes care of it. She also taught some breathing exercises which help sometimes too.
I'm sure your Dr's can work to gather to find something to was it for you.

July 19, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Sometimes it helps to read a Q or A and realize I'm NOT alone. Thx

July 26, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member right again! 🍀👌Anxiety, panic attacks, and dépression are going unfortunately Hand in Hand with COPD. I'm on Xanax the lowest dose 1 half tablet and it's going fine. When sometîmes going to Emergency, doctors seemed to attribue my panic attack to a psychologic cause... So stupid, but worst they are totally unaware of COPD comorbidities! 🫣 Hugs Michael 😻

July 19, 2024
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Have a fan close by you when you fell like your having a panic attack pit it on o find that helps

July 19, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Branch, MN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Oaklyn, NJ

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In