I definitely do at times. As I mentioned earlier, I drove to visit my son in a neighboring state last week. It was exhilerating! But, nagging in the back of my mind were all the "what if's." If my portable failed, if the tank ran out, etc.
But I did it. And that alone makes me feel better. I am on 02 pretty much 24/7. Using the big suitcase sized concentrator at home, and a 10lb portable shoulder strap one. I also have the tanks on wheels if I need because I live in a rural area that is hit by bad weather a lot. My insurance covers the large concentrator and the small tanks, but I had to by the portable concentrator. When I go out, I always have a backup and that makes my mind easier. It's been almost five years for me now and I feel like during the 4th year my brain started working again. My oxygen just drops out sometimes and I really don't know it unless it gets in the mid 70's or lower. Obviously, that is not good for my organs. So, since I can't tell, I am stuck.
It's rough, but keep trying to find little ways that make you comfortable and hopefully your anxiety will ease up little by little.
I was pretty much homebound for approximately 4 years due to panic attacks. The amount of energy and focus required to regain control was astounding (lots of fun in public). My doctors would look at me with a blank face and offered no solutions. I told them I kept a change of clothes and shoes in my car for bladder control issues due to panic attacks. One doctor finally put me on a very small dose of lorazepam that I take sparingly. I felt like the world was mine for the taking! 😃
I certainly sympathize with your situation @A MyCOPDTeam Member and all the others who experience panic/anxiety attacks; thus far I have had neither and I am VERY thankful for that! We all have to get used to a "new normal" as this disease progresses. It isn't going to go away, so I just go with the flow so far. I am sure there will come a day when someone will say to me "why do you experience panic attacks, just go with the flow", but so far that hasn't happened and I'm sure I will forget that I ever mentioned "go with the flow". I am sorry for not understanding something that I have not yet experienced. I really do wish I had some words of wisdom for you all. Hugs, Chris
I never had anxiety attacks I’m old retired RN. Now with this SOB and oxygen sats all over the place I’m like a crazy person everything makes me upset when it doesn’t go right when I get upset then I start wheezing and can’t breathe my doc says take my oxygen with me and put it on when I get like that. (I wear O2 at night and PRN) of course I live in Gl it rains at any given moment my insurance pays for oxilife concentrator it’s like a little rolling suitcase but 19lbs too heavy to pick up and run if it’s raining Listen to me complaining I’m sorry. I have a lot to be thankful for thanks for listening.
Thank you for sharing DugGus! I understand the bladder thing too well and the lorazepam does help with my panic attacks. I was doing really well before I had COVID in January 2024. Ever since then I have gone downhill. I keep telling my doctors that I want to get back to things the way they were. I am beginning to think I'll never get back my life. Hope you are doing well and take care.