Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Atlanta, GA
June 27, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Angela. Changes in weather affect many people with chronic conditions - blood pressures, heart issues and COPD. Especially EXTREME weather like much of the US now. The bottom line is heat expands things like the breathing passages and blood veins and throws the balance out of whack. There are a lot of tips in the article below but the two must important are to avoid the outdoors if not absolutely necessary and to STAY HYDRATED.
👀 SEE here:
https://www.webmd.com/lung/copd/copd-humidity

Liquids help lower body temperature and keep the body parts which expand from heat more flexible. Like the lungs.
be Well.

COPD and Humidity
COPD and Humidity
June 27, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Actually, the quality of the heat vs humidity makes a huge difference, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.

I’m an escapee from the Boston suburbs of Massachusetts, and I got sick on average about 8 times a year (every time the wind blew, LOL).

In my case the problem was the dampness (humidity in the Summer, raw cold in the Winter), and I just celebrated my 40th year as a happy Silicon Vally, CA, transferee. Out here, we have tons of microclimates and it generally doesn’t rain for about 9 months out of the year where I live.

I also found a dehumidifier in my home helped tremendously to reduce the moisture in the air during our wet Winter months, and wondered if you’d tried that in your home or in your bedroom to see if it might help ease your breathing and shortness of breath on bad days?

If you have to go out, check your hourly weather forecast to see if there is a time of day that’s less humid for your activities. I always found early in the morning or late at night was more tolerable for my doing errands, and hope you’ll find timing that helps you feel more comfortable when you must leave your home.

Early Monday morning, 30-JUN-25

June 30, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good for you, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.

Keeping your independence as you figure out how to make the most of wherever you live is essential for your quality of life. Keep up the good work.

Sunday night, 13-JUL-25

July 13, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes, I live on Cape Cod in MA and the summers here as well have become so hot and humid. The air quality is horrible. I am so affected by it . I sometimes wonder why I suddenly just can't breathe and that is why. If I have to get grocery's or run an errand I usually go as early in the AM as the stores open, while it is still quite cool. I've given in to using my heat pump to keep the house cooler and myself more comfortable. I hate that my life has become more and more restrictive but am lucky that I can accommodate and have so far been able to keep my independence. I work really hard at accepting that. It has made life better.

July 12, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Boston, MA

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Northern Calif

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In