Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Boston, MA
May 20
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Most definitely. My wife worries when she looks at the weather forecast and sees its going to be humid

May 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A dehumidifier does help

May 21
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thanks. That's very useful. I interesting that the humidity can be too low as too high. I'm going to get the dehumidifier at least.

May 21
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes.
Although, we are all different and can take it more or heavier humidity than others. I worked outside as a bricklayer/stonemason for 35 years. So I have always been used to the elements. I can take the percentage into the upper 80's, but prefer it to be within a certain range [78%-40% is mine] when spending time outdoors. You have to pay attention and find those spots where it starts to get harder to breath when the air feel thicker, heavier. Make note of it, and then find when it is just so thick and heavy with moisture that you start having troubles breathing in it. Come up with your own range. But keep in mind temperature, and air quality also come in to play.

Officially; At 65% humidity it becomes heavier and harder for people with COPD. Any time above 60% it could rain. The ideal range for a person with COPD is 40%-50%.

To have a safe zone I use a humidifier during the winter, and a dehumidifier in the summer. I maintain the percentage in the home. I keep it around 50%, I prefer 55% in my house. It's how I work it and I can tell with my breathing if it is going up to hight.

May 21
MyCOPDTeam

Yes, high humidity can definitely make breathing harder with COPD. Most people with COPD find that humid conditions trigger symptoms or cause flare-ups, though a small number of people actually do better in humid weather — so it can vary from person to person.

A MyCOPDTeam member shared: "The humidity was a bit much for me Show Full Answer

Yes, high humidity can definitely make breathing harder with COPD. Most people with COPD find that humid conditions trigger symptoms or cause flare-ups, though a small number of people actually do better in humid weather — so it can vary from person to person.

A MyCOPDTeam member shared: "The humidity was a bit much for me today, and that seems to be a big trigger for me with my COPD." The sweet spot for indoor humidity is around 40%. High moisture indoors can also encourage the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew, which further reduces air quality and can worsen COPD symptoms.

Here are some tips to help manage humidity levels at home:

- Monitor indoor humidity with an inexpensive humidity monitor
- Use a dehumidifier when humidity is high
- Ventilate moisture-prone areas like kitchens and bathrooms
- Take shorter, cooler showers
- Use fans to improve airflow
- Repair any leaks and wipe up spills promptly On hot, humid days outdoors, try to stay in an air-conditioned space, limit physical activity, and if you must go outside, aim for cooler times like early morning or evening. Staying well hydrated also helps, as it can thin mucus and help your body regulate temperature.

As always, if symptoms worsen significantly, it's worth checking in with a healthcare provider.

May 20

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clarksville, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In