Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

Severe COPD with emphysema

July 1, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Disability scheduled my lung functions test for July 8.

July 2, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It all depends on the state rules for SSDI. As a general rule SS always denies the first application flat out without looking or reading it. But if you appeal it it will pay retroactive when approved.
It normally takes 5-6 months to get an answer. But in my state if you are sever COPD you automatically get approved. When I applied the approved it in 30 days and said I could have been on it for two years pryer.
You never know till you do it and go through the process. Having all your medical records and being on oxygen helps move you through the process faster.

July 2, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Tamara. I agree, Disability is such a negative word. But IT won't be decided based on Opinion - even from a doctor. IT will be based on test results along the criteria for Respiratory conditions. The other part will be your acceptance of whether or not you can FULLY perform at the levels you desire (or once could).

Here is a link to the official test requirements to qualify for Social Security benefits, in case you have to fight for the "Right side of the Fence" that works best for you.

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bl...

be Well 🌞

https://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/3.00-Respiratory-Adult.htm
July 8, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I'm retired from the State of California and have great health insurance. Never been hospitalized for COPD. Not on oxygen. I use 3 inhalers. I go to pulmonary rehab classes twice a week. Walking is definitely a problem. I can't detect any progression.

July 1, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi Patrick. When I got out of the hospital after Covid in 2022, it was suggested I apply for Disability, and I refuse to believe that I couldn't work still. And I made it work for me until November 2024. Now I can't get anybody to hire me. No job means no insurance. Also means no money. So I've been forced to take a job that was a favor to my husband's boss for just a few hours a week… Like eight hours a week. I finally applied for Disability in March, but if I don't do this work I have no income whatsoever, let alone be able to buy medication or anything. And I'm afraid that doing this work is going to keep me from getting Disability, even though it's killing me. Ambulance

July 1, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Colorado Springs, CO

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lincoln, CA