My pleasure, Carol. And about the salt, Joanne. The nephrologist I went to gave me some excellent advice. He said, Stay Away From Salt!! He did concede that we all get some salt whether we want to or not. I really worked on that and lost too much weight in just a few months. So I decided a compromise would have to do. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Very little lean meat. Some chicken and some kinds of fish. Pasta. But I didn't add salt when I cooked and I didn't put it on the table.. All this went very well, but I was starving for salt, so I started adding a little. Also began adding more protein to my diet. It's just a constant give and take with me, but I keep trying and it makes me feel like I do have some control over my health.
I wax tested a few years ago for heart failure - everything was fine but I still had swollen ankles.
I note one answer suggested foam wedges - I've not tried them but did eventually realise that 'keep your legs elevated' actually means have the whole of the foot higher than the top of the heart (when laid down).
I lay on the floor (TV set for at least an hour long programme, preferably a 90 min. film & headphones), position my bum against the heel board of the sofa and my feet on the seat. This puts my feet very clearly above my heart and after a few days the reduction in swelling is obvious.
Hope it helps.
Thanks Rick.Last night was different,I got up three times to pee a lot,then again this morning.Been takeing Lymphatic Support ,never got this reaction.Takeing it about two weeks.I have a hard time wearing sock,I live where its hot.Thank you.
Have you tried compression Socks during the day,I have been taking Furosemide & wearing Compression socks which helps but when I wake up in the am the swollen. Legs/ankles are normal but wearing compression Socks keep my legs in check…I am going next week for another ultrasound at United Vein they tell me they could help me with Swollen legs!
I have episodes of swollen ankles and feet. Sometimes the swelling goes up my legs almost to my knees. I’ve been prescribed furosemide (Lasix) for the swelling but the medication has caused cramping in my hands which is also very uncomfortable so I don’t use it. I have purchased wedge pillows (Amazon) for my bed and chair ottomans and I keep my feet elevated when I sleep or sit for a long time. I try to watch my sodium intake, but these days any prepared foods or takeout usually has a lot of salt. My doctor has told me to try to keep sodium under 2000 mg daily, but I know I exceed that. After I wake up in the morning my feet and ankles often look pretty normal. But by mid morning the swelling returns. I also use compression socks during the day. There are so many issues to deal with related to COPD.