Cleveland Clinic says that anticholinergics can cause dry skin, dry eyes and dry mouth plus other side effects. I use 2 different meds that have an anticholinergic in them: Breztri and Duoneb. My skin is very dry since starting to use these, in addition my hair is extremely dry. My hairdresser says it is from meds. I use Cereve moisturizing cream both on face and body, plus vaseline I used to use Olay moistering cream, but it doesn't help anymore. @AshjNrell2, @A MyCOPDTeam Member Good luck everyone, breathing is more important than dry skin. Sigh.....
My skin has been thin for years before being diagnosed with COPD. Same way about remembering faces but never was good at names. If I think about it for a while, names come to me.
I have been dealing with extremely dry, itchy, and thinning skin. Most of my doctors say it's from the long term steroid use (in the inhalers like Symbicort). Others say it's hereditary. I don't really know what the real cause is, but I've been using Cerave and Gold Bond body moisturizers and they seem to work better at keeping my skin lubricated. As far as my memory, well, I can go about that for days, but I don't think it's any worse. I have always been great at remembering faces and not names, so shame on me for that one. Have a great day!
I have had trouble with dryer skin, more dandruff than ever before. Also dry flaky skin around my face. My doctor tells me part from my times I am low on oxygen to my cells, and part from the extra steroids in my medications. Had to use a prescription cream for a while to take care of the flakiness. And now need to use a moisturizing cream on my skin all the time.
I never needed moisturizing cream before. Make sure it is a cream not a lotion you use.
A fellow bricklayer and friend, who is black. Always had to put cream or even vaseline on his skin because the lime in the mortar would dry out his skin. You might want to see your GP about it and may need a prescription cream to start like I did.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I can’t help you with your skin issue, but I might have a solution for your memory. Learn something new such as a language or a computer game. We seniors stop learning and that is detrimental to our memories.
Until 6 years ago, my memory was fading. My grandson got me into computer games and that has been my saving grace. I still forget many things, but I feel much better about my memory.