Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
November 12, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It is a good idea to carry a scarf with you to cover your mouth. It prevents that initial shock of ooh, I can't breathe I the cold weather.

November 15, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I do. I also have bad asthma with the Bronciectasis. But it’s controlled with my medications. I have to avoid the winds and stay inside. Wear a mask outside. Some of the asthma allergy companies online have masks that keep the air warm on your nose and mouth. I used to wear one when I went ice-skating years ago.

November 12, 2025 (edited)
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Goodness yes. If it's very cold, and I'm walking across a large parking lot, I make sure to have a scarf that I can drape loosely across my lower face and neck. I don't like inhaling such cold air! BTW, that's another good use for those masks we stocked up on.

November 12, 2025
MyCOPDTeam

Does cold weather make breathing harder for people with COPD?

Yes, cold weather can definitely make breathing more difficult and worsen COPD symptoms. Cold air and strong winds are known triggers for COPD exacerbations. Cold temperatures can make it harder to breathe and may cause fatigue even without physical exertion.

A Show Full Answer

Does cold weather make breathing harder for people with COPD?

Yes, cold weather can definitely make breathing more difficult and worsen COPD symptoms. Cold air and strong winds are known triggers for COPD exacerbations. Cold temperatures can make it harder to breathe and may cause fatigue even without physical exertion.

A MyCOPDTeam member shared: "A cold and snowy winter day is making breathing a bit more difficult here in the Northeast. I'm looking forward to warmer, drier days. That combination provides much better breathing days."

Tips to manage breathing in cold weather:

- Avoid going outside when it's extremely cold or windy
- Wear a loosely worn scarf or face mask over your nose and mouth
- Breathe in through your nose to warm the air before it reaches your lungs
- Keep oxygen tubing inside your clothing to warm the air
- Wear several layers of loose clothing that protect without restricting breathing
- Keep inhalers warm (they work best between 50-80°F)

Winter also brings increased risk of respiratory infections like colds and flu, which can have a greater impact on COPD. Stay up to date with vaccinations, wash your hands frequently, and avoid people who are sick.

November 12, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes I was downtown one cold morning n couldn't catch my breathe it was so scary n I had no idea the cold would do that

November 14, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Collierville, TN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Mantua, OH

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lake Mills, WI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In