Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
November 16, 2025
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well It took me three years to decide to quit. It too me a year of trying the patches, gum, home remedies, chantix for 6 months till said I could have them anymore, Wellbutrin. Finally my doctor said that since the meds were not working to try hypnosis. I thought it would be a waist of time but. I spent more on the meds to quit and on cigarettes, so why not give it a try $150. Went in smoking 3 cigarettes on the way there, kept the pack in my pocket when in there. Figured I would walk out and show the guy it didn't work. It was a little chat with hime like a doctors appointment, 10 mins or so. Then he put me under felt like maybe 10 minuets, in reality it was over an hour. didn't feel any different, he even walked us out and I was going to light up when I. walked out the door. Well took out my digest and lighter... threw them both in the trash can out front of his office.
That that was 4 yeas ago on December 5th. I have not picked up a cigarette or even craved one since. Someone coming around me and smoking does not bother me, but for the smoke because of my COPD.
Every time I see something red I think of this line; "I am not a smoker, and for the rest of my life I will not smoke." Think of hominy times you see red in a day, look around right now I bet 10 with in sight. It really is mind over matter and deciding you want to breathe air and not want the poison and damage of the cigarettes.

You can do it. Good luck! A couple little tips that might help. Vitamin C and more cinnamon will help. Oh and a craving will only last 10 minuets, and if your hands are busy or wet you will get get past it and not even notice.

November 17, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It is a progressive disease, but you can control it and slow its progress. And yes stoping smoking will help. In fact it is the best thing you can do for yourself.

When I quit smoking, finally. After a while I could breathe easier, I didn't cough as much, and food actually started tasting better. stopped with the morning coughing fit and coughing up phlegm. But the best thing was I could take a deep breath again.
Stopping Smoking; will help stop the progression, stop making it worse and will make breathing easier on you.

November 16, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Proud of you

December 10, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member There is also a nicotine gum you could chew or you could try Chantix; I quit for a long time using the Chantix, but unfortunately went back to smoking after my prescription for that ran out. I didn't know that I could get the prescription refilled and now I don't think you even need a prescription to get it anymore. I am sure there are more things, but I haven't smoked for a number of years now, so I'm not up on what is new out there. Just don't take up vaping!! That is worse than smoking in spite of the "all natural" ones they advertise. I wish you the best of luck! Chris
11/17/25

November 17, 2025
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Oh I’m trying believe me you know how hard it is then? How long did it take you and how many times trying! As I say I am allergic to the patches so that’s a big help gone! Going to have to find out more with my appt there must are other things as in all the things I have read stopping smoking is the best thing to do for this! X

November 17, 2025

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
New York, NY