Sometimes having something in the future, whether it's a day, week, or month keeps you going. It might be a birthday, doctors appointment, even something as simple as having a prescription refilled. You have the feeling that it's something you have to attend to yourself and that gives you the will to keep pushing on.
March 6
Some days I can’t be motivated, some days I must be motivated. I gear up for the latter on the former…you have to find what works for you. I know, seems like a non-answer, but we all get through however we can. My thoughts are with you 😟
March 6
Sadly , I’m agoraphobic and almost never leave my home. So my goals are less lofty. But I do have some, right now it’s Mother’s Day followed soon after by my birthday. I’m hanging on to that right now…😊
March 6
How do you stay motivated when COPD keeps progressing despite your best efforts?
It's completely understandable to feel discouraged when you're doing everything right but still experiencing decline. Many people with COPD share this frustration, and it's one of the hardest parts of living with a progressive condition.
Here Show Full Answer
How do you stay motivated when COPD keeps progressing despite your best efforts?
It's completely understandable to feel discouraged when you're doing everything right but still experiencing decline. Many people with COPD share this frustration, and it's one of the hardest parts of living with a progressive condition.
Here are some approaches that help others stay motivated:
- Shift your focus from "getting better" to "living well today. COPD progression doesn't mean you've failed—it's the nature of the condition. Success might look like maintaining quality of life rather than reversing symptoms.
- Give yourself grace and let go of blame. As one MyCOPDTeam member wisely said, "Find a way to be kind to yourself and accept what you cannot change. You're not dead yet, so don't prematurely bury yourself."
- Keep busy and plan things to look forward to. Booking events three to six months ahead gives you something positive to anticipate, even on difficult days.
- Stay connected with people who understand. Depression is common with COPD, especially when symptoms worsen. Talking with others who "get it" can help you feel less alone in the struggle.
Your attitude matters, but so does acknowledging that some days are just hard. It's okay to feel frustrated while still moving forward one day at a time.
March 4