Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.

They finally found a medication that works for me to lower my heart rate so when I get up now, it only goes up to 98 to 110 as long as if I take the medication otherwise it’ll jump back up. Does anybody else have that problem with her heart or do I have other issues? I need to worry about.

April 14
 · 
Reactions
MyCOPDTeam

Is it common to have heart problems with COPD?

Yes, heart issues are quite common with COPD. COPD increases the workload on your heart, particularly the right side, which can lead to heart complications. In fact, heart failure is much more common in people with COPD than in the general population.

A MyCOPDTeam member Show Full Answer

Is it common to have heart problems with COPD?

Yes, heart issues are quite common with COPD. COPD increases the workload on your heart, particularly the right side, which can lead to heart complications. In fact, heart failure is much more common in people with COPD than in the general population.

A MyCOPDTeam member shared: "I have heart failure now. I'm just starting to feel a little bit better. The swelling on my ankles and legs has gone down, but I'm still struggling to walk."

When your lungs don't work as efficiently due to COPD, your heart has to work harder to pump oxygen throughout your body. This added strain can cause various heart problems over time. What you should do:

It's great that the hospital found medication that helps control your heart rate. However, you should definitely follow up with your healthcare providers about this. Make sure both your pulmonary specialist and cardiologist (if you have one) are aware of:

* Your elevated heart rate episodes
* The new medication you're taking
* All other medications and supplements you use

Your doctors need to work together to ensure treatments for your COPD don't negatively affect your heart, and vice versa. Some treatments can actually oppose each other, so coordination is essential.

Don't hesitate to reach out to your medical team if your heart rate spikes again or if you experience other concerning symptoms like dizziness, chest discomfort, or increased shortness of breath.

April 14

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
St Louis, MO