Answer Summary
Members discussing the GOLD scale for COPD shared encouragement around low lung function numbers, with one member reminding others that a... Read more
While AI tried its best to answer you, I think a picture helps to better communicate what the Gold Standard is for measuring where you are on the disease progression scale, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
The measurements evolve from time to time as the worldwide organization updates it’s data and tools for communication, but in general, these are the measurements you can match against your pulmonary function test results to understand where your disease severity lies.
I’m very severe (formerly described and the ominous “end stage”) at about 28%.
Hope this reply helps.
Friday night, 17-APR-26
Yes, JoannC it does help yet it is a scary chart to read and take in. My lung function is at 23% last test. Was at the pulmonary Dr Monday and he is going to start a new way of handling things like meds and nebulizers with the meds that go in them. It sounds hopeful 😊 I’m going to try Pulmonary Rehab.
What does GOLD mean in COPD?
GOLD stands for the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. It's the most common staging system doctors use to understand how severe your COPD is and track how it's progressing.
The GOLD system assigns you a stage (1 through 4) based on
* Your lung function test results Show Full Answer
Only a couple of days it will start collecting @A MyCOPDTeam Member. That is, if you have a lot of moisture in the air if you don’t, it may not collect as much. Hubby hangs his wetsuits in the garage after surfing so I get a lot of water in mine.
I have a musty house living by the ocean here. Best thing for that’s is opening all your windows and doors as much as possible.
Just remember that it’s only a number, and that nothing changed between how you feel (pretty good, I hope) and how the chart says you’re doing.
I’ve been stuck at about 28% for a few years now, and to me it’s just a number to use to track whether or not the disease is worsening. In my case, I’m holding my own, and I’ll hope you are, too, @A MyCOPDTeam Member.
Good luck with whatever the doc wants to try, and I hope you get into Pulmonary Rehab and that the sessions helped you as much as they helped me.
Monday morning, 20-APR-26