I've done all that. Also have CHF and sleep a lot. I've told them I sleep from 2 pm till 5. They will call at 5 saying I should be rested. I am not. All this does is stress me out
April 17
How can you help friends understand that phone calls are too difficult when you're short of breath?
It's completely understandable to feel upset when friends don't realize how challenging talking can be with COPD. Shortness of breath is a common symptom that can make even simple conversations exhausting.
Here are some Show Full Answer
How can you help friends understand that phone calls are too difficult when you're short of breath?
It's completely understandable to feel upset when friends don't realize how challenging talking can be with COPD. Shortness of breath is a common symptom that can make even simple conversations exhausting.
Here are some ways to help your friends understand:
- Send them a clear, direct message explaining that talking on the phone uses too much breath and leaves you exhausted
- Let them know texting is how you can stay connected right now, and it means just as much to you
- Suggest they text first to ask if you're having a good breathing day before calling
- Share that this isn't about avoiding them - it's about managing your breathing and energy
A MyCOPDTeam member shared having to remind their kids often about needing to walk slowly and stop frequently due to shortness of breath. Sometimes people need gentle, repeated reminders until it becomes their new normal.
Your friends care about you - they're calling because they miss hearing your voice. Once they truly understand that texting helps you stay connected without the physical strain, they'll likely adjust. Be patient with them as they learn this new way of staying close to you.
April 17