I haven't even asked my pulmo; I just take each day as it comes @WilliamMcNeill.
May 6
Told my pulmonist when I first started seeing her I didn't want to know. Haven't had any testing or x-rays in over 3 years but definitely feel the progression and aging taking place.
May 7
They can't. Everyone is different and every case is different. We each progress differently.
It all depends on you. If you take your medications properly, if you exercise, what you eat, if you avoid getting sick, etc.
I can get my doctor to give me a what to look for as my next warning sign or issue. But that is through asking the what if I do this or not do that senecios when having some issue. We can advance quickly, I went 2 stages in 3 years or we can live 20 years at each stage. All on how we handle our condition. You have to be on top of it...
May 7
It's completely understandable to want clarity about what lies ahead — not knowing can feel unsettling. Many people with COPD have shared this same frustration.
One MyCOPDTeam member shared that when they were first diagnosed, they felt like it was a death sentence. After doing their own research and connecting with Show Full Answer
It's completely understandable to want clarity about what lies ahead — not knowing can feel unsettling. Many people with COPD have shared this same frustration.
One MyCOPDTeam member shared that when they were first diagnosed, they felt like it was a death sentence. After doing their own research and connecting with others, they found a much more hopeful picture. Their takeaway? With proper care, a close-to-normal life is very much possible. While COPD is a serious condition, it's not always considered life-ending. People can live for decades with the right treatment and lifestyle adjustments. For those at even the most advanced stage, it's not an automatic worst-case scenario — symptoms and outlook vary widely from person to person. There are several things that can positively influence the road ahead:
- Medications like inhalers and corticosteroids to manage symptoms and reduce flare-ups
- Pulmonary rehabilitation to build strength and learn management strategies
- Quitting smoking if applicable, which can slow progression
- Preventing lung infections to reduce exacerbations
- Staying active at whatever pace works for you
- Maintaining a positive mindset — one MyCOPDTeam member noted that attitude plays a huge role in how each day goes
It may be worth asking your doctor directly and specifically what *your* current stage means for *your* daily life and management plan. Sometimes framing the question differently opens up a more helpful conversation.
May 6
Unfortunately she will probably wise up when its too late @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I hope she comes toher senses before that though. Hugs, Chris
Mentioned Users
A MyCOPDT...
May 7