Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
May 30
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member I didn't read the whole article that the AI answer gave you, but each stage of this disease can last for years, so you no doubt have a very long life ahead of you. I hope you chose to enjoy each and every one of those days! Hugs, Chris May 31, 2026

May 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

It's definitely worth stopping it's difficult but I will be smoke free 4 years in September and my breathing is so much better

May 31
MyCOPDTeam

First of all, stopping smoking is genuinely one of the most powerful things that can be done to slow emphysema's progression β€” so that's a huge win worth acknowledging. It's completely normal to feel scared and overwhelmed by a diagnosis like this.

Emphysema does progress slowly in most people, and many live for years Show Full Answer

First of all, stopping smoking is genuinely one of the most powerful things that can be done to slow emphysema's progression β€” so that's a huge win worth acknowledging. It's completely normal to feel scared and overwhelmed by a diagnosis like this.

Emphysema does progress slowly in most people, and many live for years without major changes in their symptoms. The key is staying informed and proactive about managing it. Here are some things that can help slow progression and improve quality of life:

- Regular check-ups with your doctor to monitor lung function
- Pulmonary rehabilitation to strengthen breathing muscles
- Medications like bronchodilators to ease symptoms
- Avoiding lung irritants like dust, fumes, and air pollution
- Staying active within your comfort level to maintain muscle strength
- Vaccinations to reduce the risk of respiratory infections

Feelings of anxiety and fear are very common among people living with emphysema β€” you are absolutely not alone in this. Connecting with others who truly understand what you're going through can make a real difference. MyCOPDTeam members often share tips, encouragement, and personal experiences that can help ease the emotional weight of this diagnosis.

Always talk to your doctor about any new or worsening symptoms β€” they're your best partner in managing this journey. πŸ’™

May 30
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi @A MyCOPDTeam Member I'm now just finishing up in the barn getting ready to run errands then home and get some hay for the horses at home. I'll try to check back later I miss getting to chat with you. Hugs πŸ€—

May 31
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good morning @A MyCOPDTeam Member. I know you are probably busy and I have to leave i a few minutes but just wanted to say hi. hugs,Chris 5/31/26

May 31

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Springfield, IL