I was about to be sold a 2 in 1 med which would have been over $100 for a 90 day supply. Called the doctor back and asked for the generic or a different med. Today I picked up the same thing for $3. Same Pharmacy, same 2 insurances. So if it has the same name on the label, how can I tell if this is a generic or not? The lady at the pharmacy wasn't sure. And do you take any generics? Thanks for any responses.
Answer Summary
Members shared varied experiences with generic versus brand-name medications, with many noting that generics work just as well for common... Read more
Heather, I have a sneaky suspicion that one works just about as well as the other. 😀
Ha ! No way is a seller going to risk their profit by educating their clientele by adding, “generic for…” on any prescription, @A MyCOPDTeam Member
When I found out my xopenex inhaler had been substituted for a visually-identical generic, they *still* wasted my money, charging me $175 out of pocket for an ineffective med. I was so made, and agree with @A MyCOPDTeam Member that cost containment is desirable, but only if the generic is effective. Otherwise, the cost is secondary to survival and effectiveness, as @A MyCOPDTeam Member and I have so many comorbidities making quality of life a priority.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I learned a lot from you today, and thanks for your info.
Monday night, 01-JUN-26
You are so funny, @A MyCOPDTeam Member - yes, we all know you enjoy your Chinese buffets, LOL.
@A MyCOPDTeam Member, the part that they missed - but which I feel is VERY important - is that, while the generic can be fine, it can also be +/- up to 20% variance of the effectiveness of the original brand medication, if you can tolerate that variance among the ingredients, then the cost savings is worth it.
BUT, if the difference in ingredients is noticeable, then you need to be careful.
Kind of like drinking coffee, sanka or espresso. Each has its fans, and what your end goal is trying to achieve is what determines whether or not the generic is good enough.
In my case, I take Theophylline extended release capsules, which my insurance tries to substitute with tablets, with a 20% loss in effectiveness, which shows up in increased shortness of breath and aggravating symptoms.
Like @A MyCOPDTeam Member said, he was able to switch medications and save the money. So, I’m fine with generics for Atorvastatin, Hydrochlorothiazide and Potassium scripts, but cannot tolerate the side effects or less effective doses when dealing with my Xopenex inhaler or my Theo-Dur EX capsules, so I either have to file an appeal to get an exception to their formulary under my drug plan, or pay out of pocket when they refuse the appeal.
Please note, if you find any medications have been substituted for what the doctor specified, please work with your doctor to write *NO SUBSTITUTIONS* on a script every time to avoid them doing a bait and switch.
The generic for my Xopenex inhaler looks 90% identical on the packaging and color of the dispenser, and it wasn’t until the side effects caused major effectiveness issues that I forced a fight with the pharmacy staff who substituted the generic at the request of my insurance, thinking I was being a diva vs my body being able to tell which Rx was the more effective medication for me.
As for talking to your doc, all well and good, but most don’t have the medication training to be able to tell you the actual differences between the generic or brand names, as well as any interaction challenges between all the medications you may be taking. Talk to both the doc and the pharmacist for best results in terms of getting actual answers that are helpful.
Butting out again. Have a good week.
Sunday night, 31-MAY-26
I can only speak for myself if I can get over the counter or prescription generic,I will always go generic as I'm on a fixed income and money is tight , happy people don't have to worry about price but I have to get all I can on the affordability side 😂
What a great save — $3 versus $100+ is a win worth celebrating! That kind of proactive thinking can make a real difference in managing COPD long-term.
Here's how to spot a generic on the label:
- Generic name vs. brand name: Brand-name drugs have a trademarked name (like "Advair"), while generics are listed by their Show Full Answer