Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Detroit, MI
June 16
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Good answer, @A MyCOPDTeam Member! I could not take a full breath one morning and waited an hour before driving myself to the ER and just barely made it @ 9 years ago when diagnosed. Won't wait next time! Take care and hope you enjoy your day!! 😀 John Tues AM

June 16
A MyCOPDTeam Member

AI answered that one precisely. If it is sudden and you're having troubles getting a breath go to ER.

Me, I have those days. I call them my "bad air days." The odds are I got some irritant into my lungs, and started to breathe short breaths or not fully exhaling. So I do my breathing exercises, I rest yet keep active and moving every hour. I pay more attention to fully exhaling. I have a tendency to hold my breath or take short breaths. So during the day I will do some more breathing exercises, PLB and belly breathing. Then tomorrow will be a better day.
But be warned anxiety or panic will only worsen your breathing. Causing you to take even shorter breaths, exhale twice as long as you in hale.

Hope that helps. Do you have an oximeter? That is a good way to know if you need to be doing the PLB [Pursed Lipped Breathing]

June 16
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Hi and welcome, @A MyCOPDTeam Member:

I find an over the counter menthol balm like Vicks, or a CBD+eucalyptus spritzer like AELIA analgesic muscle spray helps to relax my chest muscles when I’m dealing with tightness.

As the AI-generated response says, though, if it’s a new issue, talk to your doc to make sure it’s not a medical emergency.

If it’s anxiety-related, don’t forget to try calming exercises like pursed-lip breathing or meditation (or your favorite music) to help you deal with your challenges non-medically. Easier said than done, I know, but practice what appeals to you and try and get in some exercise to force your chest muscles to relax.

Even 5 minutes of simple arm and shoulder movements may help to loosen the tension in your chest area if it’s tension or anxiety related.

Good luck, and know that you can conquer these COPD-related challenges. You are not alone.

Early Tuesday morning, 16-JUN-26

June 16
MyCOPDTeam

Chest tightness and breathing difficulties are common with COPD, and there are several things that can help. However, if the tightness is new, suddenly worse, or comes with gasping, inability to speak, or bluish lips — that's a medical emergency. Call for help right away.

If your oxygen level drops below 90% on a pulse Show Full Answer

Chest tightness and breathing difficulties are common with COPD, and there are several things that can help. However, if the tightness is new, suddenly worse, or comes with gasping, inability to speak, or bluish lips — that's a medical emergency. Call for help right away.

If your oxygen level drops below 90% on a pulse oximeter, seek immediate medical attention as well. For managing chest tightness and breathlessness at home, here are some helpful steps:

- Pursed lip breathing — Breathe in slowly through your nose for 2 seconds, then exhale through pursed lips for 4–6 seconds. This helps release trapped air and improves oxygen exchange.
- Diaphragmatic (belly) breathing — Place one hand on your chest and one below your ribs. Breathe in through your nose, letting your belly rise, then exhale through pursed lips. Repeat for 5–10 minutes.
- Stay calm — Anxiety can make breathlessness feel worse. Slowing your breathing down can help break that cycle.
- Use prescribed rescue medications — If a doctor has provided a rescue pack or inhaler, use it as directed during a flare-up.

If chest tightness keeps happening or is getting worse over time, it's important to speak with a healthcare provider. It could be a sign that COPD is progressing or that a flare-up needs treatment.

June 16

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Ocala, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Maysville, GA