I find that going to the gym and using the stationary bike helps expand my ability to breathe. Also I focus on weight lifting to help with my posture. Over the last three years I have seen a marked improvement in my stair climbing ability as well as my posture.
All gym activity helps my whole body. My blood circulation is better too. The interesting thing is that I don’t have to prove anything at the gym, I just plug along at a steady rate, and lift far less than everyone else, and do what is best for my body.
There is no judgement at the gym.
June 19
I tend to do that to. I can’t always make it to the gym but I bought two pound weights and balls. It helps me to exercise at home.
June 19
You're definitely not alone in this! Many people with COPD find themselves naturally gravitating toward positions like tripoding (leaning forward with hands on knees) because it actually does help open up the airways and ease breathing. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.
The tricky part is that while these positions Show Full Answer
You're definitely not alone in this! Many people with COPD find themselves naturally gravitating toward positions like tripoding (leaning forward with hands on knees) because it actually does help open up the airways and ease breathing. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.
The tricky part is that while these positions can help in the short term, habitual hunching can affect your posture over time and may actually make breathing less efficient in the long run.
Here are some tips to help maintain better posture while still breathing comfortably:
- Stand tall and keep good posture rather than bending at the waist
- Synchronize your breathing with your movements during activities
- Use long-handled tools around the house to avoid unnecessary bending
- Arrange your home so frequently used items are within easy reach at a comfortable height
The good news is that being aware of it, like you clearly are, is the first step. It may help to talk to your doctor or a respiratory therapist about breathing techniques that can give you relief without relying solely on positional habits.
A MyCOPDTeam member shared that learning breathing techniques helped them stay calm and manage breathlessness without panicking — which can reduce the urge to constantly reposition.
June 19
Yes! I seem to breathe better when leaning forward. Usually when watching T.V.--- I try to sit upright when I can.
June 19