Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 20
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Well where you live matters as to you may be in location (like me) that has very high humidity with hot temps, allergens (trees, flowers, pollen, smoke, pollution).
I live in eastern North Carolina and the humidity and high temps have already limited me. I also have COPD emphysema and Asthma...I call it the Double Whammy !

June 20
MyCOPDTeam

Living with both COPD and asthma together is known as asthma-COPD overlap syndrome, and it can lead to more severe and complicated symptoms than either condition alone — including worsening breathlessness. So what you're experiencing isn't unusual, but it absolutely deserves attention.

Worsening breathing over time can be Show Full Answer

Living with both COPD and asthma together is known as asthma-COPD overlap syndrome, and it can lead to more severe and complicated symptoms than either condition alone — including worsening breathlessness. So what you're experiencing isn't unusual, but it absolutely deserves attention.

Worsening breathing over time can be a sign that your COPD is progressing, or that something is triggering a flare-up. Common triggers include:

- Respiratory infections
- Cold air or weather changes
- Air pollution, smoke, or strong fumes/perfumes
- Increased physical activity It's important to watch for warning signs that need urgent care, such as:

- Gasping or choking
- Lips or fingers turning blue
- Confusion or inability to speak

If you have a pulse oximeter at home, check your oxygen levels. A reading below 90% means you should seek immediate medical attention.

Even if it's not an emergency, steadily worsening breathing is a clear sign to contact your doctor soon. They can review your current treatments and adjust them to better manage both conditions together. Don't wait on this one — your lungs are worth the call! 💙

June 20
A MyCOPDTeam Member

From what I understand, COPD is worsened by lung infections. I suppose that air complications such as smoke and humidity may make breathing more difficult but it shouldn’t affect the progress of the disease.
I’m open to correction if I’m wrong.

June 24
A MyCOPDTeam Member

My breathing issue changes throughout the day that medication makes a huge difference. When I see a gradual change in my ability to breathe it is usually because I have not kept my body hydrated which causes thick mucus in my lungs that is hard to cough up. I bought unflavored electrolyte powder from Amazon that i use to help with hydration (talk to your doctor). I try to have coughing session two times a day to help clear my lungs.
Environmental issues like season changes usually keep me indoors.
If my breathing gets too labored the anxiety kicks in adding another level to the game. Not fun at all!!

June 29

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
North Branch, MN

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Clarksville, TX

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Maysville, GA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In