Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
June 24
 · 
Reactions
MyCOPDTeam

Long drives can absolutely be tiring with COPD, and you're definitely not alone in feeling that way! One MyCOPDTeam member shared that they nearly didn't attempt a 3+ hour journey out of fear, but pushed through and had a wonderful time — proving it's possible with the right mindset and preparation.

COPD can reduce Show Full Answer

Long drives can absolutely be tiring with COPD, and you're definitely not alone in feeling that way! One MyCOPDTeam member shared that they nearly didn't attempt a 3+ hour journey out of fear, but pushed through and had a wonderful time — proving it's possible with the right mindset and preparation.

COPD can reduce airflow, which leads to breathing difficulties and fatigue, and these effects can be amplified during longer trips. Here are some helpful tips for driving with COPD:

- Check air quality before heading out, as poor air can worsen symptoms
- Keep windows up and AC on to avoid outdoor pollutants and fumes
- Plan your route carefully, especially if driving through high-altitude areas, which can make breathing harder
- Avoid rush hour when possible to reduce exposure to traffic fumes
- Take rest breaks to avoid overexerting yourself

If you're on oxygen therapy, make sure you have enough supply for the full trip, and never leave oxygen tanks in a hot car or trunk — that's a safety must!

It's always a good idea to chat with your doctor before longer trips so they can help tailor advice to your specific situation. Staying positive and planning ahead can make a big difference! 😊

June 24
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I don’t seem to have to much of a problem. I just try not to think about it and it seems to be ok for me.

June 24
A MyCOPDTeam Member

As I grow older, I find that driving for more than 5 hours gets more difficult. My wife and I drive alternately so that takes a lot of the weariness away from driving.
Since I started going to the gym and warming up with the exercise bike, I’ve noticed my ability to breathe has become easier. My circulation is better too, I don’t get as cold as easy.
I cut the lawn today and started out not wearing a mask, but my lungs began to ache so I wore my N95 mask and the ache disappeared.
The key for me is movement. Movement seems to get my blood going so my whole body works together to keep me alert.

June 24
A MyCOPDTeam Member

We moved to be near my son, and he insists on doing the driving if I have to go anywhere out of town. It does kick my butt pretty hard, especially when I have to travel over mountain passes (which, in this area, are over 7000 ft. in elevation).

June 29
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Yes any activity that causes us to tire out, will do that. When I had to move houses three hours south , my doctor let me take prednisone for three days

June 24 (edited)

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Lakewood, CA

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In