Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
NC
July 1
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Virgie, an exacerbation for me happened almost every 6-8 weeks when I was working managing local trucking companies. I retired almost 20 years ago because I got sick of being sick. Since I retired I have not had what I consider a full blown exacerbation which I do not miss.. I would come down with a lung infection which required antibiotics, steroids, fight a 101-103 temperature for 2 or 3 days.. About all I could do was go to the bathroom and go back and lay down and sweat it out.. It was hard to recover from them as it took so much out of you.. All I could eat was Jello and popsicles.. About all I could keep down with fighting Bronchiectasis (a lot of coughing and bringing up tons of heavy phlegm) I'm sure everyone has their own version of what their exacerbation was for them.. but I can pretty much guarantee none of them are fun... Have a great day, Mike

July 1
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Debbie, that was awesome your Mom lived to almost 96 years old... but as you stated you never want them to go... because it is your Mom... My Mom passed away young at 39 from cancer... My Dad took on the job of raising 4 young kids while usually working double shifts at a factory... Don't know how he did it... The four of us had to grow up early... Mom and Dad are both in a better place... Have a great day, Mike

July 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Debbie, so sorry you had to go through that and then lose your Mom on top of it... Your right about keeping calm and not panic... I found really focusing on and controlling your breathing can get you through those crappy times.. Once again sorry about your Mother! It's going to be another hot/humid day so stay cool... Have a great day, Mike

July 3
MyCOPDTeam

A COPD exacerbation (also called a flare-up) is when your usual symptoms suddenly get worse or new symptoms appear. Unlike the small day-to-day changes in how you feel, a flare-up tends to last longer and usually needs some kind of treatment or medication to get under control.

Common signs that you may be having an Show Full Answer

A COPD exacerbation (also called a flare-up) is when your usual symptoms suddenly get worse or new symptoms appear. Unlike the small day-to-day changes in how you feel, a flare-up tends to last longer and usually needs some kind of treatment or medication to get under control.

Common signs that you may be having an exacerbation include:

- More shortness of breath than usual
- Increased coughing
- More mucus or phlegm, or a change in its color or thickness
- Wheezing
- Fatigue Some flare-ups can become serious emergencies. Seek immediate help if you notice any of the following:

- Gasping or choking
- Chest tightness or heaviness
- Blue-tinted lips, skin, or fingernails
- Rapid heartbeat
- Sudden confusion or difficulty concentrating
- High fever
- Slurred speech

It's always a good idea to have a plan in place with your doctor ahead of time, so you know exactly what steps to take when symptoms start to worsen.

July 1
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you Mike. My mom was just a week away from being 96 years old, so wasn't totally unexpected but still - it was my mom. And yes, staying calm and focused is everything! Having a great week! Miles of smiles!

July 5

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Winnipeg, MB

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Hamburg, NY