Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­

I have found that my nubilzer actually works better than my oxygen and lately I've been using it allot my breathing has been very difficult for the last few days. The reason is my daughter whom I live with keeps the ac cranked so low that I am freezing most of the time I stay outside my bedroom is downstairs an in order to go upstairs I use my nubilzer and has anyone used a portable nubilzer if so does it work for you cause Iam thinking of buying one. They are expensive and I would like to hear… read more

July 4
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A good question Rhonda. I am sure that at least 50% of us use a nebulizer, if not more.
Depending on what medication you are nebulizing, it helps to relax your bronchial muscles from spasms. Making it easier for you to breathe.You still need your oxygen. Make sure you're following doctors prescription on number of times and how long in-between treatments.

My doctor told me; "if I am using my rescue inhaler more than 4 times a day, I need to be nebulizing in place of some of those."

I have both I prefer the plugged in unit as it does a better job of atomizing the particles. But I have the portable unit for when I am out and away from home. So I can do it anywhere even in my truck. I will tell you to use distilled water to rinse them because they use vibration to atomize the medicine. The tap water has calcium and will clog it up eventually. You will replace them more often.

Hope this helps you understand more. Breathe Ez.....

July 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have a portable nebulizer and love it. You can take it on go

July 5
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Thank you ketshilling for that information I have looked on amazon and the nubilzer are over πŸ’― and right now I simply can't afford that. If you know where I could get them cheaper I would love to know where hope you have a wonderful day

July 6
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I have a great portable unit I paid 50 for on Amazon. It works great and it takes less time than the plug in nebulizer. I can send you the link if you'd like.

July 6
MyCOPDTeam

Happy 4th to you too! πŸŽ† It's great that your nebulizer is helping, but if breathing has been very difficult for several days, that's worth a call to your doctor β€” it could be the start of a flare-up that may need attention sooner rather than later.

Cold air from AC is a known COPD trigger and can definitely make breathing Show Full Answer

Happy 4th to you too! πŸŽ† It's great that your nebulizer is helping, but if breathing has been very difficult for several days, that's worth a call to your doctor β€” it could be the start of a flare-up that may need attention sooner rather than later.

Cold air from AC is a known COPD trigger and can definitely make breathing harder. A few things that may help at home:

- Keep a light scarf or mask handy to warm the air before it reaches your lungs
- Try to spend time in rooms where the temperature is more comfortable
- Talk to your daughter about finding a temperature that works for both of you On portable nebulizers β€” they can be a convenient option, especially for getting around the house or traveling. A few things worth knowing before buying:

- They convert liquid medication into a fine mist, just like a home unit
- No special breathing technique is needed β€” you just breathe normally
- They are generally effective, though some models may take a little longer than home units

Many MyCOPDTeam members find nebulizers very helpful for managing breathing day-to-day. That said, it's worth asking your doctor or respiratory therapist which portable model would best suit your specific medication and needs before investing.

July 4

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Ormond Beach, FL

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
Jamaica, NY

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In