AI answered that pretty well. Staying hydrated is first and foremost. If it is thick you're not drinking enough water. I also drink some hot mullein tea everyday to help season it. Mucinex will also help. But talk with your doctor about this.
When stuck I will use my AerobikA, a flutter device my pulmonologist gave me when I had troubles with stuck phlegm. I will sometimes do a nebulizer treatment then the AerobikA. He also told me when it gets worse will need a procession vest. Till then sometimes someone doing cupping or pounding on your back up and down your lungs will help loosen it up also.
Ask your Pulmonologist for a script of singular, it breaks up the phlegm and ask him for a flutter to blow into a few times a day, he should just be able to give you one.
Dealing with mucus (phlegm) buildup is a common challenge with COPD. There are several things that can help loosen and clear it more easily.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Stay well hydrated β drinking plenty of water helps thin out mucus, making it easier to cough up
- Try hot beverages like tea, which can help relax and Show Full Answer