Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
July 18
 · 
Reactions
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I rarely check my saturation levels.
I take my medications (4 each) as prescribed. I always have my emergency inhaler on my person at all times, even on the sink when in the shower, When I become breathless, i pay attention to what I am physically doing at that time and most important how much resistance to air flow I'm having, both inhalation and exhalation. If the resistance is fairly high, I will use two doses of the emergency inhaler and wait and wait about 10 minutes for it start to ease the symptoms.
My breathing ability changes throughout the day and each day is different. Unfortunately, I use this as an excuse to not do things I should (chores). πŸ™ƒ
Use your emergency inhaler properly.
Wait until you have breathing under control before using because you need to hold your breath after each dose. Take a look at some You Tube videos.

As always, tell your doctor what you are experiencing and ask what he recommends.

July 25
MyCOPDTeam

Definitely not alone in this! Fluctuating oxygen saturation is very common with COPD, even when on supplemental oxygen. Many MyCOPDTeam members experience the same thing.

Saturation can shift based on several factors, including:

- Activity level – even light movement like walking or showering can cause dips
- Time of day Show Full Answer

Definitely not alone in this! Fluctuating oxygen saturation is very common with COPD, even when on supplemental oxygen. Many MyCOPDTeam members experience the same thing.

Saturation can shift based on several factors, including:

- Activity level – even light movement like walking or showering can cause dips
- Time of day – levels often drop during sleep
- Breathing technique – how deeply or efficiently you're breathing matters
- Flare-ups or exacerbations – these can temporarily worsen oxygen levels A pulse oximeter at home can help track patterns in your readings. A healthy target range is generally 90–92%, but your doctor may have a specific target for you personally.

If saturation is consistently dropping below 88%, it's worth flagging with your doctor. They may need to adjust your flow rate or oxygen prescription to better match your needs as COPD can change over time.

Always follow your doctor's guidance on oxygen use β€” too much oxygen can actually cause carbon dioxide to build up, which can make breathing feel worse.

July 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member do you have a rescue inhaler like albuterol or a nebulizer? It seems like 2 doses of anything might not be enough to get you through the day.

July 22
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I too am 3 lpm and saturation can go fluctuate between 92 to 98 although usually around 95-96.

July 18
A MyCOPDTeam Member

No I don't think so I'm on 5 to 6 l of oxygen right now but I before this see it's been a couple years now but I was intubated nine times in one year cuz I kept going in over saturation and I couldn't breathe I had carbon dioxide was built up I was really sick and I kept going in the hospital and they kept intubating me nine times in one year I'm glad that's over with

July 27

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question πŸ’­
London, UK