Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyCOPDTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Texarkana, TX
July 23
 · 
Reactions
COPD Shortness of Breath and 5 Steps To Take If You Can’t Breathe Read Article...
A MyCOPDTeam Member

@A MyCOPDTeam Member, I also have a Combivent respimat inhaler that I can use every 4-6 hours, but as you said, it isn't real effective for me either. When I use the liquid with my nebulizer, its much better and Medicare pays for it. I did use the inhaler the other night just before bed because I didn't want to be bothered with cleaning the nebulizer after use. It didnt seem to help, but I had terrible leg cramps that night that were hard to stop. That can be one of the side effects.

July 28
A MyCOPDTeam Member

I need to talk with my pulmonist about a rescue pack. She has never discussed one but did give me a prescription for Combivent Respimat inhaler to be used every 6 hours for wheezing and SOB (Ipratropium/Albuterol). Use it at night before going to bed but it's not too effective.

July 24
A MyCOPDTeam Member

A rescue or emergency pack, comes from your pulmonologist.
You have to call or message the Dr's office and they send out the order to the pharmacy. Sometimes they will have you stop by the office or go get a CT scan to confirm exacerbation.

When I start to notice a worsening of symptoms and know an exacerbation is starting I will message my pulmonologist. He will ask a few questions and send out a rescue/emergency pack to get stated as soon as possible. It is important that you keep in close and open communications with your pulmonologist so that he will send the emergency pack out. The sooner you start treating an infection the quicker you get over it, hopefully before you have to go to the hospital.
But this is not for newly diagnosed people. I have been seeing my pulmonologist for years. You can have the discussion with your pulmonologist to have it set up for when you have an exacerbation, you can call for it. It is designed to keep us out of the hospital and start treatment sooner than later.

July 23
A MyCOPDTeam Member

Interesting, never heard of the Rescue Pack. It's amazing the info the Dr's don't tell us. Most of them only care that they are getting a paycheck!

July 23
MyCOPDTeam

A rescue pack is something your doctor prescribes, so the best place to start is by having a conversation with them about whether it's right for you. A rescue pack typically contains medications to help manage a sudden COPD flare-up, and may include:

- Antibiotics – to treat infections that can trigger flare-ups
- Show Full Answer

A rescue pack is something your doctor prescribes, so the best place to start is by having a conversation with them about whether it's right for you. A rescue pack typically contains medications to help manage a sudden COPD flare-up, and may include:

- Antibiotics – to treat infections that can trigger flare-ups
- Corticosteroids – to help reduce airway inflammation during a flare-up

One MyCOPDTeam member shared that their rescue pack gives them real peace of mind, especially when traveling: *"It is a 10-day supply of antibiotics and steroids. I can make the decision to start them based on how I feel. It's a great idea, and it's reassuring to have them with me."*

Once your symptoms are under control after using a rescue pack, it's important to follow up with your doctor so they can adjust your treatment if needed and make sure you have a fresh pack ready to go.

July 23

Related Questions

View All
A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Mesa, AZ

A MyCOPDTeam Member asked a question 💭
Loughton, Essex